April 22, 2017 1:30 am JST

Teva Takeda Pharma shooting for $916m in sales in 2017

Japanese-Israeli joint venture's business size revealed for first time

TOKYO -- Teva Takeda Pharma is likely to post sales of slightly more than 100 billion yen ($916 million) in the year ending December, President Hiroshi Matsumori said in a speech here Friday, revealing the drugmaker's business size for the first time.

The Nagoya-based company was established in 2016 as a joint venture between Takeda Pharmaceutical and Israel's Teva Pharmaceutical Industries. Off-patent drugs are expected to account for 55% of the projected sales, with generics making up the remaining 45%. Teva Takeda plans to procure more off-patent products from Takeda and release new generics.

Teva Takeda is seen to be positioned behind Nichi-Iko PharmaceuticalSawai Pharmaceutical and Towa Pharmaceutical in the generics market in Japan.

Hoping to better compete in the generics market, where price wars are raging, Teva Takeda will pursue efficiency and supply stability. The company's lineup of generics totaled some 800 products at the time of its founding, but it plans to discontinue production of about 100 of these.

The extensive generics lineup has complicated production, causing Teva Takeda to grapple with issues concerning stable supply and quality.  

 

 

(Nikkei)

Takeda Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.

Japan

Market(Ticker): TKS(4502)
Sector:
Industry:
Health Technology
Pharmaceuticals: Major
Market cap(USD): 40,707.4M
Shares: 790.76M

Nichi-Iko Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.

Japan

Market(Ticker): TKS(4541)
Sector:
Industry:
Health Technology
Pharmaceuticals: Other
Market cap(USD): 934.94M
Shares: 60.66M

Sawai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.

Japan

Market(Ticker): TKS(4555)
Sector:
Industry:
Health Technology
Pharmaceuticals: Generic
Market cap(USD): 2,117.02M
Shares: 38.16M

Towa Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.

Japan

Market(Ticker): TKS(4553)
Sector:
Industry:
Health Technology
Pharmaceuticals: Generic
Market cap(USD): 810.9M
Shares: 17.17M

Get Insights on Asia In Your Inbox

To read the full story, Subscribe or Log in

Get your first month for $0.99

Redeemable only through the Subscribe button below

Once subscribed, you can…

  • Read all stories with unlimited access (5 articles per month without subscription)
  • Use our smartphone and tablet apps

To read the full story, Subscribe or Log in

3 months for $9
SUBSCRIBE TODAY

Take advantage of this limited offer.
Subscribe now to get unlimited access to all articles.

To read the full story, Update your account

We could not renew your subscription.
You need to update your payment information.

To read the full story, Subscribe or Log in

Once subscribed, you can…

  • Read all stories with unlimited access (5 articles per month without subscription)
  • Use our smartphone and tablet apps

To read the full story, Subscribe or Log in

3 months for $9
SUBSCRIBE TODAY

Take advantage of this limited offer.
Subscribe now to get unlimited access to all articles.

To read the full story, Update your account

We could not renew your subscription.
You need to update your payment information.