|Jul 24, 2017|
|Jul 24, 2017|
Currency in KRW
|Full time employees:||--|
Hyundai Motor Co., Ltd. engages in the manufacture and distribution of motor vehicles and parts. It operates through the following business areas: Vehicle, Financial and Others. The Vehicle division offers motor vehicles. The Financial division provides financing, leasing and credit cards. The Other division includes manufacture of railways. The company was founded on December 29, 1967 and is headquartered in Seoul, South Korea.
South Korea's Hyundai Motor is the world's fifth-largest automaker in terms of sales. Hyundai Motor was established in 1967 by the late Chung Ju-yung, the founder of former Hyundai conglomerate. Before his death in 2001, Chung picked his fifth son Chung Mong-hun as his successor. However, his second son Chung Mong-koo opposed the decision and bolted from the group, taking automobile operations with him.
Currently, Hyundai Motor group is comprised of steelmaker Hyundai Steel, logistics business Hyundai Glovis, autoparts maker Hyundai Mobis and other companies.
In 1998, Hyundai Motor acquired fellow South Korean automaker Kia Motors, which went bankrupt during the 1997 Asian currency crisis. The deal helped Hyundai Motor secure No. 1 position in South Korea and boost its presence in the global market.
Although at one time Japan's Mitsubishi Motors provided capital and technical assistance to Hyundai Motor, the two automakers have dissolved their alliance. Hyundai has rapidly improved quality and adopted innovative car body designs by hiring former workers from German automaker Audi since the 2000s. It has seen sales rise fast both at home and abroad.
Hyundai Motor has taken market share from Japanese rivals in the North American market. It saw sales rise there fast after the won weakened during the global financial crisis.
In the news
SK Group seizes second place, helped by Hynix's strong performance
July 24, 2017 8:17 pm JST
Company in focus
South Korea's leading automaker suffers from falling overseas sales, muddled strategy
July 23, 2017 12:00 pm JST
July 20, 2017 6:12 pm JST
Mobile carrier looks to develop 5G-based vehicle communications
July 20, 2017 4:22 am JST
July 19, 2017 8:58 pm JST
July 19, 2017 8:33 pm JST
- Local currency
- US Dollar
|Income before tax||5,578.64B|
|Dividends per share||4,000|
|Operating cash flow||996,964M|
Currency in KRW
|Income before tax||4,808.39M|
|Dividends per share||3.44|
|Operating cash flow||859.31M|
Currency in USD
- Chairman & Co-Chief Executive Officer: Mong-Koo Chung
- Co-President, Co-CEO & Director: Won-Hui Lee
- Co-President, Co-CEO & Director: Gab-Han Yoon
- Chief Financial Officer: Byeong-Cheol Choi
- President-Executive Board, Head-R&D: Moon-Sik Kwon
- Hyundai Mobis Co., Ltd.(20.7%)
- National Pension Service of Korea(8.0%)
- Hyundai Motor Co., Ltd.(6.0%)
- CHUNG MONG KOO(5.1%)
- Capital Research & Management Co. (Global Investors)(3.0%)
- CHUNG EUI-SUN(2.2%)
- Capital Research & Management Co. (World Investors)(2.1%)
- Templeton Global Advisors Ltd.(1.8%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc.(1.4%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors(1.4%)
- Website: http://www.hyundai.com/worldwide/en
- Address: 12 Heolleung-ro, Seocho-gu, Seoul, 06797, South Korea
- Phone: +82.2.3464.1114
Copyright © 2017 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.