|Mar 23, 2017|
|Mar 23, 2017|
Currency in KRW
|Full time employees:||--|
SK Telecom Co., Ltd. engages in the provision of wireless telecommunication and internet services. The company operates through the following segments: Wireless Tele Communication Services, Fixed-Line Telecommunication Services and Other business. The Wireless Tele Communication Services segment offers wireless data and wireless internet services. The Fixed-Line Telecommunication Services segment deals with telephone and internet services. The Other Business segment consists of operations from the company's leased line services, internet portal services and E-Commerce. It was founded on March 29, 1984 and is headquartered in Seoul, South Korea.
SK Telecom is South Korea's largest cellphone service provider. It began as a subsidiary of a state-owned communications company in 1984, providing car-phone services. In 1997, the company became a subsidiary of SK Group, South Korea's third-largest conglomerate in terms of asset size. The group engages in energy and fiber businesses.
SK, the holding company of SK Group, is SK Telecom's largest shareholder. SK Group chairman Chey Tae-won also has a stake in the company. It is listed on the Korea Stock Exchange and the New York Stock Exchange.
Improving the country's communications environment is a South Korean national project. SK Telecom has often launched the world's fastest communication services ahead of foreign rivals. Having electronics makers with a great degree of telecom-related expertise such as Samsung Electronics and LG Electronics at home is one of the company's strengths.
Given South Korea's population and economic growth rates are slowing, while the smartphone penetration rate is already high, the company needs to develop new revenue sources for further growth. The company's cellphone services in Mongolia, Vietnam and the U.S. have achieved limited success.
In the news
South Korean giant hopes to drive growth with big investments
February 28, 2017 12:10 pm JST
4Q operating profit falls 10%; affiliate reveals secure bottom-line growth
February 3, 2017 10:29 pm JST
South Korean business lobby urges restraint in launching bribery charges
January 17, 2017 4:30 am JST
December 28, 2016 8:34 pm JST
December 1, 2016 10:00 am JST
October 25, 2016 7:55 pm JST
- Local currency
- US Dollar
|Income before tax||1,551.63B|
|Dividends per share||10,000|
|Operating cash flow||4,226.32B|
Currency in KRW
|Income before tax||1,337.40M|
|Dividends per share||8.61|
|Operating cash flow||3,642.79M|
Currency in USD
- President & Chief Executive Officer: Jung Ho Park
- Head-Finance Management: Yong-Hwan Lee
- Head-Future Research: Byung-Hyuk Cheon
- Head-ICT Technology: Nam-Seok Han
- Head-ICT Technology: Hyung-Kyu Lim
- SK Holdings Co., Ltd.(25.2%)
- SK Telecom Co., Ltd.(12.5%)
- National Pension Service of Korea(8.3%)
- Causeway Capital Management LLC(1.4%)
- Nordea Investment Management AB (Denmark)(0.7%)
- BlackRock Investment Management LLC(0.7%)
- Schroder Investment Management Ltd.(0.7%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors(0.6%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc.(0.5%)
- Samsung Asset Management Co., Ltd.(0.4%)
- Website: http://www.sktelecom.com
- Address: 65 Eulji-ro, Jung-gu, Seoul, 04539, South Korea
- Phone: +82.2.6100.2114
Copyright © 2017 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.