|May 23, 2017|
|May 23, 2017|
Currency in INR
|Full time employees:||16,951|
Grasim Industries Ltd. manufactures viscose staple fibre, cement, chemicals, and textiles. It operates through the following segments: Fibre & Pulp, Chemicals and Others. The Fibre and Pulp segment includes viscose staple fibre and rayon grade pulp. The Chemicals segment produces caustic soda, epoxy and other allied chemicals. The Others segment manufactures textiles such as fabrics and synthetic yarns. The company was founded on August 25, 1947 and is headquartered in Nagda, India.
Grasim Industries is a core unit of Aditya Birla Group, which is part of one of India's three largest conglomerates -- Birla Group. Founded in 1948, Grasim is a major player in the textile and cement businesses.
Birla's history goes back further; it started out as Marwari, a group of leading merchants in the northern state of Rajasthan. Ghanshyam Das Birla built the foundation between World War I and World War II. His family had close ties to Mohandas Gandhi, also known as Mahatma Gandhi; the pacifist leader was assassinated at the family's house in Delhi.
The group was divided after Ghanshyam Das Birla's death. Aditya Birla, which took over much of the group's operations, is led by Kumar Mangalam Birla, a great-grandson of Ghanshyam Das Birla.
Grasim Industries is now the world's largest producer of viscose staple fiber, a material for clothing. It is also a major producer of caustic soda. It went into the cement business in 1985 and presides over Ultra Tech Cement.
The founding family and group companies own more than 20% of the business.
In the news
December 1, 2016 10:00 am JST
August 12, 2016 8:55 pm JST
August 11, 2016 11:00 pm JST
June 16, 2016 12:00 pm JST
February 29, 2016 8:45 pm JST
Aditya Birla Group
January 20, 2016 10:45 pm JST
May 14, 2015 11:26 pm JST
- Local currency
- US Dollar
|Income before tax||43,353.4M|
|Dividends per share||4.5|
|Operating cash flow||54,194.2M|
Currency in INR
|Income before tax||662.17M|
|Dividends per share||0.06|
|Operating cash flow||827.76M|
Currency in USD
- Managing Director & Director: Dilip Roopsingh Gaur
- CFO & Additional Whole Time Director: Sushil Kumar Agarwal
- Secretary & Compliance Officer: Hutkoshi R. Wadia
- Chief Executive Officer-Textile Business: Thomas Varghese
- Chief Financial Officer-Cement Business: K. C. Birla
- Aditya Birla Group(15.1%)
- Life Insurance Corp. of India(7.2%)
- Aberdeen Asset Management (Asia) Ltd.(5.6%)
- Pilani Investment & Industries Corp. Ltd.(4.6%)
- Capital Research & Management Co. (World Investors)(4.1%)
- Aberdeen Asset Managers Ltd.(3.9%)
- Hindalco Industries Ltd.(2.4%)
- Umang Commercial Co. Ltd.(1.7%)
- Capital Research & Management Co. (Global Investors)(1.7%)
- Birla Sun Life Asset Management Co. Ltd.(1.5%)
- Website: http://www.grasim.com
- Address: Birlagram, Nagda, 456331, India
- Phone: +91.7366.246760
Copyright © 2017 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.