|Mar 27, 2017|
|Mar 27, 2017|
Currency in TWD
|Full time employees:||--|
Giant Manufacturing Co., Ltd. engages in the manufacture and sale of bicycles and related spare parts. Its products include mountain, children, folding, electric, off-road riding, and racing bicycles. The company was founded by Chin Piao Liu on October 27, 1972 and is headquartered in Taichung, Taiwan.
Taiwan's Giant Manufacturing is the world's largest bicycle manufacturer. Under the Giant brand, it offers a variety of models to customers worldwide, from high-end racing bikes to inexpensive models for everyday use.
Chairman Liu King, who was previously in the eel-breeding business, founded the company in 1972. Giant expanded early on by making bikes for Schwinn of the U.S. To survive the fierce competition among domestic rivals, the company launched its own brand of bikes in 1981.
Being a latecomer to the industry, the company had to work hard to break into Europe, a major bicycle market. Giant established a subsidiary in the Netherlands in 1986 and hired renowned local industry experts to help with research and development.
The company demonstrated its technological savvy by helping pioneer the use of carbon fiber in mass-produced bicycles.
Its main production sites are at its headquarters in Taichung, Taiwan, and in Kunshan, in the Chinese province of Jiangsu. The brand is now globally recognized for its high-end bikes.
Giant pours much of its resources into marketing. It typically spends the equivalent of about 8% of its annual group sales on sponsoring major international bike races, including the Tour de France.
In the news
King Liu's successors inherit a powerful brand with stalling revenue growth
December 22, 2016 12:00 pm JST
Company in focus
Taiwan's Giant Manufacturing seeks rejuvenation amid stagnant growth and a rising challenge from China
December 18, 2016 1:00 am JST
King Liu to make way for the next generation amid challenges in China
December 16, 2016 10:01 pm JST
November 17, 2016 12:00 pm JST
November 15, 2016 6:10 pm JST
October 20, 2016 12:00 pm JST
- Local currency
- US Dollar
|Income before tax||5,083.23M|
|Dividends per share||6.2|
|Operating cash flow||3,221.06M|
Currency in TWD
|Income before tax||160.08M|
|Dividends per share||0.19|
|Operating cash flow||101.43M|
Currency in USD
- General Manager & Director: Hsiang An Lo
- Director, Head-Finance & Deputy General Manager: Hsiu Chen Tu
- Vice President & General Manager-Taiwan Factory: Ching Hsin Yan
- Director & Deputy General Manager: Ta Peng Chiu
- Director & Deputy General Manager: Yung Chang Liu
- Schroder Investment Management (Hong Kong) Ltd.(9.6%)
- First State Investment Management (UK) Ltd.(7.4%)
- LIU CHIN PIAO(5.7%)
- TU HSIU CHEN(4.9%)
- First State Investments (Hong Kong) Ltd.(3.2%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc.(2.5%)
- Saudi Arabian Monetary Agency (Investment Management)(2.5%)
- Hui Te Industry Co. Ltd.(2.4%)
- LIU YUNG CHANG(2.0%)
- CHIU TA JU(1.7%)
- Website: http://www.giant-bicycles.com
- Address: No. 19, Shunfan Road, Dajia District, Taichung, 43774, Taiwan
- Phone: +886.4.2681.4771
Copyright © 2017 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.