|Mar 23, 2017|
|Mar 23, 2017|
Currency in INR
|Full time employees:||76,952|
Tata Steel Ltd. is a holding company, which engages in the manufacture and marketing of steel and allied products. The firm produces and sells agricultural equipment, bearings, construction, flat, and long products. It operates through the following segments: Steel, Ferro Alloys and Minerals, and Others. The company was founded by Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata on August 26, 1907 and is headquartered in Mumbai, India.
Tata Steel is India's largest private-sector steelmaker and was the first to operate a modern blast furnace in the country. Tata Steel is the brainchild of Jamsetji Tata, the late founder of Tata group.
Impressed by a Scottish historian's remark that "the nation which gains control of iron soon acquires the control of gold," Tata set up an iron and steel company in 1907. Jamshedpur, an industrial city in eastern India that is home to Tata Steel's largest plant, came to be named after Jamsetji and became a company town. After India gained its independence in 1947, the government gave preferential treatment to state-owned steelmakers. Even so, Tata Steel has remained one of India's most powerful steel companies.
Tata Sons, the holding company of Tata group, and the group companies own a 30% stake in Tata Steel, with Tata group Chairman Cyrus Mistry also serving as chairman of the steelmaker.
Tata Steel made headlines around the world when it bought Anglo-Dutch steel company Corus in 2007, creating a new global steel giant. As Tata Steel expands its global reach, it has established a foothold in Southeast Asia and elsewhere. The Indian company has a tie-up with Japan's Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal, operating a joint venture in India to make steel sheet for the automotive industry.
In the news
March 17, 2017 9:01 pm JST
March 16, 2017 9:25 pm JST
March 7, 2017 9:10 pm JST
February 28, 2017 9:36 pm JST
Outsider Chandrasekaran stresses unity with Tata clan
February 22, 2017 5:25 am JST
February 21, 2017 9:15 pm JST
- Local currency
- US Dollar
|Income before tax||-16,740.4M|
|Dividends per share||8|
|Operating cash flow||79,065.5M|
Currency in INR
|Income before tax||-255.69M|
|Dividends per share||0.12|
|Operating cash flow||1,207.64M|
Currency in USD
- Chief Financial Officer & Executive Director: Koushik Chatterjee
- Secretary, Compliance Officer & IR Contact: Parvatheesam Kanchinadham
- Executive Director & MD-India and South East Asia: Thachat Viswanath Narendran
- Assistant Manager-Coal Mines: D. C. Panigrahi
- Head-Marketing & Sales: Atrayee Sanyal
- Tata Sons Ltd.(30.0%)
- HDFC Asset Management Co. Ltd.(5.0%)
- Reliance Nippon Life Asset Management Ltd.(2.3%)
- ICICI Prudential Asset Management Co. Ltd.(2.1%)
- Dimensional Fund Advisors LP(1.1%)
- Norges Bank Investment Management(0.9%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors(0.8%)
- APG Asset Management NV(0.7%)
- Birla Sun Life Asset Management Co. Ltd.(0.7%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc.(0.7%)
- Website: http://www.tatasteel.com
- Address: Bombay House, 24, Homi Mody Street, Mumbai, 400001, India
- Phone: +91.22.66658282
Copyright © 2017 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.