|Mar 28, 2017|
|Mar 28, 2017|
Currency in INR
|Full time employees:||22,797|
Idea Cellular Ltd. is a mobile services operator. It operates through two business segments: Mobility Services and International Long Distance. The Mobility Services segment provides global system for mobile communications based mobile and related telephony services. The International Long Distance segment provides international long distance services. It provides voice services, such as Hosted IVR solution, Idea Concall; connectivity services, such as Field Force Automation and Secured Connectivity Solutions; and location services. The company was founded on March 14, 1995 and is headquartered in Mumbai, India.
Idea Cellular is a major mobile phone service operator in India and ranked third in the country by subscriber numbers. It belongs to the Aditya Birla Group, one of the three largest conglomerates in India.
Founded in 1995, Idea was managed for some time as a company jointly owned by Birla, the Tata Group, another top Indian conglomerate, and the AT&T Group of the U.S. AT&T subsequently withdrew its capital from Idea and Tata sold its equity stake in 2006 because it established a telecom company.
As a result, Birla has placed Idea under its management. Idea acquired its rival Spice Communications in 2008 and has kept expanding its market presence to become India's third largest mobile carrier after Bharti Airtel and Vodafone. It has been winning new subscribers by promoting third-generation mobile phone services in rural areas.
Aditya Birla Nuvo, the core company of the Birla group, is Idea's biggest shareholder. Other group companies, such as Hindalco Industries and Grasim Industries, are also major stakeholders. The Birla group as a whole owns a nearly 40% stake in Idea.
Nearly 20% of Idea is also owned by the Axiata Group, a Malaysia telecom company.
In the news
March 28, 2017 7:59 pm JST
March 24, 2017 10:35 pm JST
March 23, 2017 8:39 pm JST
Stiff market competition forces peers to join; new entity's CEO undecided
March 20, 2017 11:57 pm JST
March 20, 2017 9:14 pm JST
March 20, 2017 8:43 pm JST
March 20, 2017 8:06 pm JST
- Local currency
- US Dollar
|Income before tax||47,246.56M|
|Dividends per share||0.6|
|Operating cash flow||109,642.59M|
Currency in INR
|Income before tax||721.64M|
|Dividends per share||0.00|
|Operating cash flow||1,674.67M|
Currency in USD
- Chief Executive Officer, MD & Director: Himanshu Kapania
- Chief Operating Officer: P. Lakshminarayana
- Chief Financial Officer & Whole Time Director: Akshaya Moondra
- Chief Technology Officer: Anil K. Tandan
- Chief Information Technology Officer: Prakash K. Paranjape
- Aditya Birla Nuvo Ltd.(23.2%)
- Axiata Group Bhd.(19.7%)
- Aditya Birla Group(7.8%)
- Hindalco Industries Ltd.(6.3%)
- First State Investment Management (UK) Ltd.(5.0%)
- Grasim Industries Ltd.(4.7%)
- Providence Equity Partners LLC(3.3%)
- ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Co. Ltd. (Invt Port)(2.7%)
- Capital Research & Management Co. (World Investors)(2.2%)
- Schroder Investment Management Ltd.(1.4%)
- Website: http://www.ideacellular.com
- Address: Windsor, 5th Floor, Off CST Road, Near Vidya Nagari, Mumbai, 400098, India
- Phone: +91.95.94004000
Copyright © 2017 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.