|Mar 23, 2017|
|Mar 23, 2017|
Currency in KRW
|Full time employees:||--|
LG Display Co., Ltd. is engaged in the manufacture and sale of thin film transistor and organic light-emitting diodedisplay(OLED) products. Its products include television, commercial, monitor, notebook, mobile, auto, and OLED display. The company was founded on February 28, 1985 and is headquartered in Seoul, South Korea.
LG Display is the world's largest liquid crystal display panel maker. Its largest shareholder is LG Electronics.
The company grew rapidly after it formed a joint venture with Dutch company Royal Philips, beginning in 1999. Royal Philips sold all of its shares by 2009 to terminate the joint venture. Currently, LG Display conducts business on its own.
LG Display has two production bases in South Korea and one in Guangzhou, China. It also sells products to companies outside the group, as well as to LG Electronics. The company has a reputation for quality, as shown by the fact that U.S. tech giant Apple, which is known for its stringent technology valuation, has continued to adopt the company's LCD panels in its iPhone series of smartphones.
Reacting to increased competition from Chinese rivals, LG Display has shifted to production of high-resolution displays. It was among the first LCD panel makers in the world to launch mass production of large organic light-emitting diode displays. Although small and midsize OLED displays are widely used in smartphones, it is difficult to produce large displays. LG Display overcame the barrier by adopting unique architecture.
LG Electronics is among the few makers of large OLED TV's, the main products with which LG Display can differentiate itself from its rivals. However, it could also be a risk factor. Any delay in market expansion could lead to a slowdown in panel demand and negatively affect large investments.
In the news
Chairman Terry Gou 'won't choose' between US, China, but his investments lean east
March 9, 2017 10:00 am JST
Manufacturers must prepare for uncertain future after the fever fades
March 2, 2017 7:00 pm JST
Korea Inc. still dominant in panels for TVs
February 28, 2017 4:00 am JST
US chip equipment giant expects continued record sales in the coming years
February 23, 2017 1:00 am JST
KIM JAEWON, Nikkei staff writer
January 24, 2017 8:00 pm JST
Panel prices seen rising further
January 24, 2017 10:00 am JST
- Local currency
- US Dollar
|Income before tax||1,307.89B|
|Dividends per share||500|
|Operating cash flow||3,700.72B|
Currency in KRW
|Income before tax||1,127.31M|
|Dividends per share||0.43|
|Operating cash flow||3,189.75M|
Currency in USD
- Chief Executive Officer & Director: Sang-Beom Han
- Chief Operations Officer & Vice President: Yu-Seoung Yin
- Chief Financial Officer & Director: Sang-Don Kim
- CTO & Senior Managing Director: In-Byung Kang
- Vice President & Head-Television Business: Yong-Kee Hwang
- LG Electronics, Inc.(37.9%)
- National Pension Service of Korea(9.9%)
- Capital Research & Management Co. (World Investors)(4.0%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc.(1.3%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors(1.1%)
- Capital Research & Management Co. (Global Investors)(1.1%)
- Dimensional Fund Advisors LP(0.9%)
- Norges Bank Investment Management(0.7%)
- APG Asset Management NV(0.5%)
- Acadian Asset Management LLC(0.5%)
- Website: http://www.lgdisplay.com
- Address: LG Twin Towers, 128 Yeoui-daero, Seoul, 07336, South Korea
- Phone: +82.2.3777.1010
Copyright © 2017 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.