|May 29, 2017|
|May 29, 2017|
Currency in KRW
|Full time employees:||--|
E-Mart, Inc. distributes and sells products through online shopping, specialty stores and supermarkets. It offers groceries, general household goods, consumer electronics, sports, pet, shoes, beauty and health products. The company was founded on May 1, 2011 and is headquartered in Seoul, South Korea.
Emart belongs to South Korea's Shinsegae group and operates a chain of hypermarkets. It had 154 stores across the country as of June 2015. The company maintains its leading market share in the domestic hypermarket sector, outstripping its competitors like Lotte Mart and Homeplus. Shinsegae group's high-profile businesses includes Shinsegae Chosun Hotel, which runs upscale Westin Chosun hotels.
In 2011, Emart was created through the spinoff of Shinsegae's hypermarket division. For a while, it tried advancing overseas, as shown by its aggressive store openings in China beginning in the mid-2000s. But it is now downsizing its store network there and focusing on domestic expansion.
South Korea's business environment for large-scale retailers has become increasingly severe since the government enacted regulations meant to protect small retailers. Under the rules, big-box retailers are required to close at midnight and on public holidays as well as refrain from opening new stores near smaller retailers.
Emart has reacted by setting up emart everyday supermarkets in a small retail trading zone.
The group's consolidated subsidiaries include hotel and duty-free shop divisions. Emart intends to obtain a license for operating duty-free shops and ride an expected wave of tourism.
In the news
FT Confidential Research
May 10, 2017 8:14 pm JST
May 4, 2017 7:27 pm JST
Hong Kong, South Korean restaurants and shops drop dishes and offerings
March 23, 2017 11:59 pm JST
October 22, 2016 1:00 pm JST
September 30, 2016 4:00 pm JST
September 2, 2016 2:00 am JST
- Local currency
- US Dollar
|Income before tax||463,330.51M|
|Dividends per share||1,500|
|Operating cash flow||734,317.54M|
Currency in KRW
|Income before tax||399.35M|
|Dividends per share||1.29|
|Operating cash flow||632.92M|
Currency in USD
- Co-Chief Executive Officer & Director: Gab-Soo Lee
- Co-Chief Executive Officer & Director: Hae-Sung Kim
- Managing Director & Head-Finance: Joo-Hee Lee
- Vice President & Head-Food Products: Seong-Jae Choi
- Vice President & Head-Lifestyle Products: Young-Soo Lee
- LEE MYUNG-HEE(18.2%)
- CHUNG YONG-JIN(9.8%)
- National Pension Service of Korea(9.3%)
- Aberdeen Asset Management (Asia) Ltd.(4.4%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc.(1.6%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors(1.4%)
- Dimensional Fund Advisors LP(1.4%)
- Lazard Asset Management LLC(1.3%)
- Hermes Investment Management Ltd.(1.3%)
- Genesis Investment Management LLP(1.2%)
- Website: http://www.emartcompany.com
- Address: 377 Ttukseom-ro, Seongdong-gu, Seoul, 04781, South Korea
- Phone: +82.2.380.9238
Copyright © 2017 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.