ArrowArtboardCreated with Sketch.Title ChevronTitle ChevronEye IconIcon FacebookIcon LinkedinIcon Mail ContactPath LayerIcon MailMenu BurgerPositive ArrowIcon PrintIcon SearchSite TitleTitle ChevronIcon Twitter
Asia300

PetroChina awarded Abu Dhabi offshore oil concessions

Import-dependent China secures new sourcing sites in $1.17bn deal

Japan-based Inpex's interest shrank in one of the reorganized concessions in Abu Dhabi.

HONG KONG -- PetroChina has obtained 10% stakes in two offshore oil concessions in Abu Dhabi under 40-year agreements, paying a total of $1.17 billion.

China has been working to diversify energy sources in light of growing domestic demand while Abu Dhabi sought to secure a stable buyer through the deal.

Abu Dhabi National Oil Co. (ADNOC) granted the interests in the Umm Shaif and Nasr concession for $575 million and the Lower Zakum concession for $600 million, the state-owned Chinese oil and gas company said Wednesday.

"These agreements strengthen our growing relationship with ADNOC, and will help to meet China's expanding demand for energy and contribute to asset portfolio optimization and profitability enhancement," said Wang Yilin, who is chairman of PetroChina and its parent, China National Petroleum Corp., in a news release.

ADNOC divided a large concession into three parts, looking to reshuffle partners as former agreements expired in early March. The shareholder makeup for the third concession, SARB and Umm Lulu, has not been announced.

The state-owned Abu Dhabi company held 60% of the original concession, with the remaining 40% shared among U.K.-based BP, France's Total and Inpex of Japan.

PetroChina is aggressively pursuing energy sources overseas as domestic demand surges.   © Reuters

In the newly created Lower Zakum concession, an Indian consortium led by state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corp. received a 10% stake, with Italy's Eni obtaining 5%. Inpex's share has dropped to 10% from 12% before the rearrangement. Total's share is 5%.

In the Umm Shaif and Nasr concession, Total holds 20% and Eni 10%, while ADNOC keeps 60% stakes in both.

Oil consumption in China increased 6% in 2017 to around 590 million tons, according to local media. Meanwhile, oil imports have risen to a record 400 million tons or so, covering nearly 70% of the demand. 

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored Content This content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.

You have {{numberArticlesLeft}} free article{{numberArticlesLeft-plural}} left this monthThis is your last free article this month

Stay ahead with our exclusives on Asia;
the most dynamic market in the world.

Stay ahead with our exclusives on Asia

Get trusted insights from experts within Asia itself.

Get trusted insights from experts
within Asia itself.

Get Unlimited access

You have {{numberArticlesLeft}} free article{{numberArticlesLeft-plural}} left this month

This is your last free article this month

Stay ahead with our exclusives on Asia; the most
dynamic market in the world
.

Get trusted insights from experts
within Asia itself.

Try 3 months for $9

Offer ends January 31st

Your trial period has expired

You need a subscription to...

  • Read all stories with unlimited access
  • Use our mobile and tablet apps
See all offers and subscribe

Your full access to the Nikkei Asian Review has expired

You need a subscription to:

  • Read all stories with unlimited access
  • Use our mobile and tablet apps
See all offers
NAR on print phone, device, and tablet media