ArrowArtboardCreated with Sketch.Title ChevronTitle ChevronIcon FacebookIcon LinkedinIcon Mail ContactPath LayerIcon MailPositive ArrowIcon PrintIcon Twitter
Business

Aeon brings Japanese sensibilities to Myanmar food shopping

The first Aeon Orange store opened in Yangon on Friday.

YANGON -- Japanese supermarket giant Aeon has become the first foreign retailer to enter Myanmar since the 2011 transition to civilian rule, a development that could herald change in a retail industry still dominated by traditional markets.

Aeon signage, a familiar sight to Japanese consumers, made its Myanmar debut Friday in a largely middle-class area along a major road in Yangon's North Okkalapa district. The store packs some 8,000 products into a relatively compact 613 sq. meters of sales-floor space. The lineup includes about 80 items imported from Japan, including selections from Aeon's Topvalu private brand. About 70% of the products are imported from Thailand or elsewhere, with the remaining 30%, mainly fresh foods, coming from Myanmar.

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored Content This content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.

Discover the all new Nikkei Asia app

  • Take your reading anywhere with offline reading functions
  • Never miss a story with breaking news alerts
  • Customize your reading experience

Nikkei Asian Review, now known as Nikkei Asia, will be the voice of the Asian Century.

Celebrate our next chapter
Free access for everyone - Sep. 30

Find out more