TOKYO/NEW YORK -- U.S. President Donald Trump's threat to impose tariffs on imports from Mexico, if he follows through, has automakers -- from Japan's Nissan Motor and South Korea's Kia to America's General Motors and Ford Motor -- scrambling to reconsider their production and sales strategies.
Shortly after his inauguration last week and as he was signing one executive order after another, Trump said his administration would move to impose 25% tariffs on imports from Mexico and Canada on Feb. 1. This sent another jolt of unease through the head offices of numerous manufacturers. "It is impossible to predict the impact due to uncertainty and the lack of information," an executive of a Japanese automaker told Nikkei Asia.








