ArrowArtboardCreated with Sketch.Title ChevronTitle ChevronIcon FacebookIcon LinkedinIcon Mail ContactPath LayerIcon MailPositive ArrowIcon PrintIcon Twitter
Business deals

BHP sells out of coking coal mines it jointly owns with Mitsui

Australian miner aims to decarbonize but Japanese trader will keep investment

BHP will sell its 80% stake in BHP Mitsui Coal for up to $1.35 billion, while Mitsui & Co. will keep the remaining 20%. (Source photos by Reuters and screenshot from BHP's website) 

SYDNEY -- BHP Group on Monday announced it has signed a deal to sell out of coking coal mines in Australia amid a global push for decarbonization.

BHP will sell its 80% stake in BHP Mitsui Coal to Stanmore SMC Holdings, an Australian resource company, for up to $1.35 billion. The remaining 20% will be kept by Mitsui & Co. The sale is expected to complete in the middle of 2022.

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored Content This content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.

Discover the all new Nikkei Asia app

  • Take your reading anywhere with offline reading functions
  • Never miss a story with breaking news alerts
  • Customize your reading experience

Nikkei Asian Review, now known as Nikkei Asia, will be the voice of the Asian Century.

Celebrate our next chapter
Free access for everyone - Sep. 30

Find out more