Hostile takeover for 7-Eleven owner 'not in the plan,' says Couche-Tard's chairman

Counterproposal by Seven & i's founding family leaves ownership battle uncertain

20241121 Couche-Tard and Seven eleven

Alimentation Couche-Tard's takeover bid for Seven & i, the Japanese owner of the 7-Eleven convenience store chain, is valued at $47 billion. (Photo by Akira Kodaka and AP)

KENJI ASADA, Nikkei staff writer

MONTREAL -- Alain Bouchard, executive chairman of Alimentation Couche-Tard, says a hostile takeover of Japan's Seven & i Holdings is "not in the plan" as the Canadian retailer seeks to acquire the Japanese owner of the 7-Eleven convenience store chain.

Seven & i disclosed last week that it had received a proposal to go private through a management buyout plan from its founding family members and its asset management company, which owns around an 8% stake. The share price has soared since then, closing at 2,556 yen ($16.55) on Thursday in Tokyo, 15% higher than before the move.

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored ContentThis content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.