Nippon Steel to use U.S. Steel acquisition deal as base for government talks

Japanese steelmaker president hopes to revive deal in agreement with Trump

20250225N Nippon Steel sign

Nippon Steel's $14.9 billion bid for U.S. Steel was blocked by former President Joe Biden. © Reuters

TOKYO (Reuters) -- Nippon Steel plans to use its current merger agreement to acquire U.S. Steel as a starting point for talks with the U.S. government, President Tadashi Imai said on Tuesday, as it aims to revive the deal.

Earlier this month, U.S. President Donald Trump, alongside Japanese Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba at the Oval Office, said that Nippon Steel's $14.9 billion bid for U.S. Steel, which was blocked by former President Joe Biden, would take the form of an investment instead of a purchase.

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored ContentThis content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.