ArrowArtboardCreated with Sketch.Title ChevronTitle ChevronIcon FacebookIcon LinkedinIcon Mail ContactPath LayerIcon MailPositive ArrowIcon Print

Adani-Softbank's $3.5bn deal spurs green energy consolidation

Increasing price competition in India to squeeze solar power players

 Adani Green, India's largest renewable energy company, is bulking up on assets, with plans to buy Japan's SB Energy Holdings from SoftBank Group for $3.5 billion.   © Reuters

MUMBAI -- Adani Green Energy, which plans to buy SoftBank Group's renewable energy assets in India, points to a new round of consolidation in the sector, which has drawn interest from private equity investors and top energy companies in recent years.

In a May stock exchange filing, the renewable energy company led by billionaire Gautam Adani said it would buy SB Energy Holdings for an enterprise value of $3.5 billion. Adani is buying SoftBank Group Capital's 80% stake in SB Energy, and the remaining 20% held by Bharti Global in a cash deal.

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored Content This content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.

Discover the all new Nikkei Asia app

  • Take your reading anywhere with offline reading functions
  • Never miss a story with breaking news alerts
  • Customize your reading experience

Nikkei Asian Review, now known as Nikkei Asia, will be the voice of the Asian Century.

Celebrate our next chapter
Free access for everyone - Sep. 30

Find out more