ArrowArtboardCreated with Sketch.Title ChevronTitle ChevronEye IconIcon FacebookIcon LinkedinIcon Mail ContactPath LayerIcon MailMenu BurgerPositive ArrowIcon PrintIcon SearchSite TitleTitle ChevronIcon Twitter
Food & Beverage

Kagome hopes to serve veggie drinks in Singapore and Mongolia

Japanese juice maker aims for eightfold surge in sales to Asia

A display of Kagome juices sold in Singapore.

TOKYO -- Japanese food and beverage maker Kagome plans to increase shipments of vegetable juice to Asia by eight times, targeting the region's increasingly rich and health-conscious consumers, possibly including Singapore and Mongolia.

The company wants to ship about 5 billion yen ($46.7 million) of these beverages a year by the mid-2020s, up from the current 600 million yen.

Last year, Kagome founded a joint venture with Nissin Foods Holdings to sell tomato and other vegetable juices in Hong Kong and Macao. Kagome owns 30% of this venture, while Nissin's Hong Kong unit owns the other 70%.

Kagome is now looking to spread sales into markets like Singapore and Mongolia. It is also seeking contractors in Thailand and other countries, where it could eventually start production.

The company began locally producing vegetable beverages in Taiwan in April and is also expanding sales in mainland China by tapping Nissin's networks.

Overseas sales accounted for 22% of Kagome's total in 2018. Its revenue in Europe and the U.S. come mostly from commercial products, like tomato sauce supplied to restaurants.

With more Asians buying Japanese beverages after visiting the country, Kagome hopes to boost its sales and name recognition throughout the region.

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored Content This content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.

You have {{numberArticlesLeft}} free article{{numberArticlesLeft-plural}} left this monthThis is your last free article this month

Stay ahead with our exclusives on Asia;
the most dynamic market in the world.

Stay ahead with our exclusives on Asia

Get trusted insights from experts within Asia itself.

Get trusted insights from experts
within Asia itself.

Get Unlimited access

You have {{numberArticlesLeft}} free article{{numberArticlesLeft-plural}} left this month

This is your last free article this month

Stay ahead with our exclusives on Asia; the most
dynamic market in the world
.

Get trusted insights from experts
within Asia itself.

Try 3 months for $9

Offer ends June 30th

Your trial period has expired

You need a subscription to...

  • Read all stories with unlimited access
  • Use our mobile and tablet apps
See all offers and subscribe

Your full access to the Nikkei Asian Review has expired

You need a subscription to:

  • Read all stories with unlimited access
  • Use our mobile and tablet apps
See all offers
NAR on print phone, device, and tablet media