PARIS -- Renault has accepted former Chairman and CEO Carlos Ghosn's decision to step down as a director, the last of his posts at a member of a leading global auto alliance, the French automaker said on Wednesday.
Ghosn will resign his directorship at a June 12 general shareholders meeting, Renault said in a statement.
The announcement came on the same day that Renault's board said certain expenses incurred by Ghosn "involve questionable and concealed practices and violations of the Group's ethical principles."
The findings came in a report prompted by the auto executive's arrest last year in Japan on charges of misreporting his compensation at alliance member Nissan Motor. Japanese prosecutors are said to be weighing new charges against the Brazilian-born Frenchman in connection with payments to an associate in Oman.
Ghosn, who has been released on bail ahead of a trial in Japan, was stripped of his positions at Nissan and Mitsubishi Motors last year.