Indonesia rejects Apple's $100m investment to lift iPhone 16 sales ban

Government wants manufacturing development plus $10m from earlier pledge

20241125 phone users in Indonesia2

Women use smartphones while riding a train in Jakarta. (Photo by Ken Kobayashi)

ISMI DAMAYANTI and REZHA HADYAN, Nikkei staff writers

JAKARTA -- Indonesia says Apple's $100 million investment plan is not enough to end a sales ban on the iPhone 16 and that the company should consider investing in local manufacturing.

Apple presented a proposal last week aimed at unlocking sales of its latest smartphone, but the Ministry of Industry said on Monday that it was not satisfied with the planned target of the investment. It also says the company still owes $10 million on a previous investment pledge.

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored ContentThis content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.