China Shenhua Energy Co., Ltd.
In the news
- Ramadan begins, SGX results and rural India reopens Apr 19, 2020
- China's power production numbers hint at economic contraction Apr 16, 2020
- Nikkei Asia300 falls, dragged down by Chinese equities Dec 31, 2019
- Hong Kong shares pause for breath near five-week high Dec 18, 2019
- Asian stocks end higher, with trade talks in focus Nov 22, 2019 See more articles on China Shenhua Energy Co., Ltd.
China Shenhua Energy is a Chinese state-owned coal company, which handles the mining, production and transport of coal as well as power generation. Besides coal mines and power plants, the company also runs railways and ports to transport coal. In size it is one of the largest companies in China, and is one of the world's largest coal firms. Its output and capital investment are widely monitored in and outside China as important indicators of the Chinese economy.
The company was established in 2004, and its parent firm is Shenhua Group, a large enterprise under direct control of the government. The company's actions tend to reflect government policies. The Chinese Communist Party has the power to pick the company's top officials.
Environmental protection is a major challenge facing the company. China relies on coal for 70% of the electricity it generetes, but coal is also a key source of air pollution. Against this backdrop, China Shenhua Energy is under pressure to introduce state-of-the-art power facilities, including ultrasupercritical power generation systems and integrated coal gasification combined cycle systems, so costs will likely increase in the short term. The company must brace itself for lower coal demand, as the Chinese government aims to reduce dependence on coal-fired power generation over the medium and long term.
China Shenhua Energy regards chemicals as a new source of revenue. It is already producing polyethylene and polypropylene. The company aims to complement its coal business, which is vulnerable to price fluctuations, by nurturing a high-end chemicals business.
|Income before tax||65,640.54M||8,463.20M|
|Dividends Per Share||2.19||0.28|
|Operating cash flow||91,157.37M||11,753.15M|
|Currency in HKD||Currency in USD|
|Dec 2016||Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019||Dec 2020|
|Income before tax||47,923.85M||83,897.44M||82,548.14M||73,125.13M||65,640.54M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.52||1.12||1.03||1.37||2.19|
|Operating cash flow||90,398.20M||104,606.89M||99,928.82M||69,498.87M||91,157.37M|
|Dec 2016||Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019||Dec 2020|
|Income before tax||6,173.79M||10,765.99M||10,532.39M||9,332.90M||8,463.20M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.06||0.14||0.13||0.17||0.28|
|Operating cash flow||11,645.56M||13,423.50M||12,750.01M||8,870.08M||11,753.15M|
- Chief Executive Officer, GM & Director: Ji Ping Yang
- Chief Financial Officer: Shan Cheng Xu
- Director & Executive Vice President: Xing Zhong Wang
- Executive Director & Vice President: Ming Jun Xu
- Manager-Guohua Division: Yang Liu
- The Vanguard Group, Inc. (3.2%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors (2.5%)
- Dimensional Fund Advisors LP (2.1%)
- Lazard Asset Management LLC (1.5%)
- BlackRock Advisors (UK) Ltd. (0.6%)
- FIL Investment Management (Hong Kong) Ltd. (0.6%)
- Orient Securities Asset Management Co. Ltd. (0.5%)
- Charles Schwab Investment Management, Inc. (0.3%)
- Geode Capital Management LLC (0.3%)
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (0.3%)
- Address: 22 Andingmen Xibinhe Road, Dongcheng District, Beijing, 100011, China
- Phone: +86.10.5813.3399
- Shenhua Shendong Electric Power Co., Ltd.
- Shenhua Xinjie Energy Co., Ltd.
- Shenhua Zhunneng Resources Development & Utilisation Co., Ltd.
- Shenhua Baoshen Railway Group Co., Ltd.
- PT GH EMM Indonesia
- Shenhua Zhunchi Railway Co., Ltd.
- Shenhua Fujian Energy Co., Ltd.
- Shenhua Beidian Shengli Energy Co., Ltd.
- Shenhua Baorixile Energy Industrial Co., Ltd.
- Shenhua Shendong Power Co., Ltd.
- Shenhua Watermark Coal Pty Ltd.
- Railway Transportation Co., Ltd.
- Huanghua Harbour Administration Co.
- Baotou Energy Co., Ltd.
- Shendong Coal Corp.
- Beijing Shenhua Changyun High-Tech Coal Blending Co., Ltd.
- Yulin Shenhua Energy Co., Ltd.
- Shenhua Baotou Energy Co., Ltd.
- Shenhua Yili Energy Co., Ltd.
- Shenhua Zhonghai Marine Co., Ltd.
- China Shenhua Overseas Development & Investment Co., Ltd.
- Shenhua Zhonghai Shipping Co., Ltd.
- Shenhua Sichuan Energy Co., Ltd.
- Shenhua Hong Kong Ltd.
- China Shenhua Overseas Capital Co., Ltd.
- Shenhua Hong Kong International Trade Co., Ltd.
- Shenhua Guohua Jiujiang Power Generation Co., Ltd.
- Zhejiang Guohua Zheneng Power Co., Ltd.
- Shenhua Trading Group Ltd.
- Shenhua Bayannoer Energy Co., Ltd.
- Peabody Energy Corporation
- Jizhong Energy Resources Co., Ltd. Class A
- Shanxi Coking Coal Energy Group Co., Ltd Class A
- Glencore plc
- Qinhuangdao Port Co., Ltd. Class H
- Daqin Railway Co., Ltd. Class A
- Rio Tinto Limited
- Rio Tinto plc
- Anglo American plc
- BHP Group Ltd
- BHP Group Plc
- China Datang Corp. Renewable Power Co. Ltd. Class H
- Chubu Electric Power Company,Incorporated
- Duke Energy Corporation
- E.ON SE
- Enel SpA
- Iberdrola SA
- RWE AG
- Kansai Electric Power Company, Incorporated
- Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings, Incorporated
- PT Adaro Energy Tbk
Copyright © 2021 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.Last Updated on 16 Jun, 2021
Nikkei Asian Review, now known as Nikkei Asia, will be the voice of the Asian Century.