Hyundai Motor Co., Ltd.
In the news
- Hyundai races back to Japan with fuel cell vehicle Dec 19, 2020
- Maruti Suzuki and Renault drive India's auto rebound Aug 13, 2020
- Fueled by Tesla deal, LG Chem goes full throttle on EV batteries Jul 21, 2020
- Late bloomer Hyundai speeds past BYD in electric vehicle sales Jul 11, 2020
- New North American trade pact puts toll on Asian companies Jul 8, 2020 See more articles on Hyundai Motor Co., Ltd.
South Korea's Hyundai Motor is the world's fifth-largest automaker in terms of sales. Hyundai Motor was established in 1967 by the late Chung Ju-yung, the founder of former Hyundai conglomerate. Before his death in 2001, Chung picked his fifth son Chung Mong-hun as his successor. However, his second son Chung Mong-koo opposed the decision and bolted from the group, taking automobile operations with him.
Currently, Hyundai Motor group is comprised of steelmaker Hyundai Steel, logistics business Hyundai Glovis, autoparts maker Hyundai Mobis and other companies.
In 1998, Hyundai Motor acquired fellow South Korean automaker Kia Motors, which went bankrupt during the 1997 Asian currency crisis. The deal helped Hyundai Motor secure No. 1 position in South Korea and boost its presence in the global market.
Although at one time Japan's Mitsubishi Motors provided capital and technical assistance to Hyundai Motor, the two automakers have dissolved their alliance. Hyundai has rapidly improved quality and adopted innovative car body designs by hiring former workers from German automaker Audi since the 2000s. It has seen sales rise fast both at home and abroad.
Hyundai Motor has taken market share from Japanese rivals in the North American market. It saw sales rise there fast after the won weakened during the global financial crisis.
|Income before tax||2,621.89B||2,222.15M|
|Dividends Per Share||3,000||2.54|
|Operating cash flow||--||--|
|Currency in KRW||Currency in USD|
|Dec 2016||Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019||Dec 2020|
|Income before tax||5,578.64B||3,910.96B||1,930.06B||3,593.03B||2,621.89B|
|Dividends Per Share||4,000||4,000||4,000||4,000||3,000|
|Operating cash flow||996,964M||3,922.42B||3,764.26B||419,784M||--|
|Dec 2016||Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019||Dec 2020|
|Income before tax||4,808.39M||3,459.46M||1,753.77M||3,081.01M||2,222.15M|
|Dividends Per Share||3.44||3.53||3.63||3.42||2.54|
|Operating cash flow||859.31M||3,469.60M||3,420.44M||359.96M||--|
- Vice Chairman & Co-Chief Executive Officer: Eui-Sun Chung
- Co-President & Director: Albert Biermann
- Co-President & Director: Eon-Tae Ha
- Vice Chairman-Executive Board, Head-R&D: Moon-Sik Kwon
- Executive Vice President: Yong-Woo Lee
- Hyundai Mobis Co., Ltd. (21.4%)
- National Pension Service of Korea (9.2%)
- Hyundai Motor Co., Ltd. (6.1%)
- CHUNG MONG KOO (5.3%)
- CHUNG EUI-SUN (2.6%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc. (1.7%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors (1.6%)
- Norges Bank Investment Management (1.2%)
- Fidelity Management & Research Co. LLC (0.7%)
- Samsung Asset Management Co., Ltd. (0.7%)
- Address: 12 Heolleung-ro, Seocho-gu, Seoul, 06797, South Korea
- Phone: +82.2.3464.1114
- Hyundai Motor Co., Ltd. ESOA
- General Motors Co. /Saint Petersburg Factory/
- Hyundai Motor Tooling (Shandong) Co., Ltd.
- Genesis Motor Sales (Shanghai) Co., Ltd.
- Hyundai Motor Group (China) Ltd.
- PT Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Indonesia
- Hyundai Merchant Marine India Pvt Ltd.
- Hyundai Rotem Brasil Industria e Comercio de Trens Ltda.
- Hyundai Motors de Mexico SRL
- Hyundai Capital India Pvt Ltd.
- HYUNDAI ENGINEERING DEUTSCHLAND GmbH
- Hyundai Motors Nigeria Ltd.
- Hyundai Motor De Mexico S de RL de CV
- Hyundai CRADLE
- Hyundai Hong Kong Co. Ltd.
- Hyundai Capital Germany GmbH
- Sichuan Hyundai Motor Co., Ltd.
- Hyundai AutoEver America LLC
- Mobis Parts CIS LLC
- Plastic Omnium Auto Inergy SAS
- Hyundai AutoEver Europe GmbH
- Hyundai Capital Services Deutschland GmbH
- Hyundai R&D Center (China) Co. Ltd.
- Hyundai Capital Canada, Inc.
- HMC Chungchung Service Co., Ltd.
- Hyundai KEFICO Corp.
- Hyundai-WIA Machine America Corp.
- Hyundai Motor Netherlands BV
- Hyundai CAOA do Brasil Ltda.
- Hyundai Motor Brasil Montadora de Automoveis Ltda.
- Ford Motor Company
- General Motors Company
- Toyota Motor Corp.
- Great Wall Motor Co., Ltd. Class H
- Daimler AG
- KIA Motors Corporation
- Renault SA
- Tofas Turk Otomobil Fabrikasi A.S.
- Ford Otomotiv Sanayi A.S.
- KAMAZ PTC
- PT Selamat Sempurna Tbk
- Hyundai Wia Corporation
- SsangYong Motor Co., Ltd.
- DAE-IL Corp.
- Stellantis N.V.
- LVMC Holdings Co. Ltd.
- SeAH Holdings Corporation
- Alticast Corp.
- Ballard Power Systems Inc.
- Carasso Motors Ltd
- Dayou Automotive Seat Technology Co., Ltd
- Dogus Otomotiv Servis ve Ticaret Anonim Sirketi
- Everlight Electronics Co., Ltd.
- FuelCell Energy, Inc.
- Hotai Motor Co., Ltd.
- Korea Electric Terminal Co., Ltd.
- Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha
- Pyeong Hwa Automotive Co., Ltd.
- Redcap Tour Co., Ltd.
- Sambo Motors Co., Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.Last Updated on 25 Feb, 2021
Nikkei Asian Review, now known as Nikkei Asia, will be the voice of the Asian Century.