LG Chem Ltd.
In the news
- Japan's battery startups take the world beyond lithium ion Aug 3, 2020
- Panasonic to supply Tesla Model 3 batteries that hold more juice Aug 1, 2020
- China gives CATL, BYD and a fuel-cell startup a second wind Jul 25, 2020
- Fueled by Tesla deal, LG Chem goes full throttle on EV batteries Jul 21, 2020
- In Depth: CATL loses EV battery crown as foreign players muscle in Jul 12, 2020 See more articles on LG Chem Ltd.
LG Chem is a leading chemical company in South Korea. Its origins can be traced back to Lucky Chemical Industrial, founded in 1947, of the LG group. LG Chem started as a producer of materials for cosmetics and has grown to become the pillar of the LG group, surpassing LG Electronics in terms of both market capitalization and earnings.
The LG group has shifted to a holding company system and LG Chem's biggest shareholder is LG Corp. While LG Chem is managed by a top executive who has risen within the company, key decisions such as changes in the top management and large acquisition deals are considered by LG Corp. Chairman Koo Bon-moo, owner and manager of the group.
LG Chem chalks up the majority of its sales from the petrochemical division, which has ethylene plants and produces products such as superabsorbent polymers used to make paper diapers and sanitary goods.
The lithium-ion battery business is also drawing attention as a locomotive of LG Chem's growth. The company supplies batteries for electric cars and hybrids to many automakers in the U.S., Europe and China, including Daimler of Germany and Great Wall Motor. It also engages in joint battery development. In addition, LG Chem handles electronic components such as polarizers for liquid crystal display panels.
|Income before tax||934,349M||791.89M|
|Dividends Per Share||10,000||8.47|
|Operating cash flow||5,841.56B||4,950.94M|
|Currency in KRW||Currency in USD|
|Dec 2016||Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019||Dec 2020|
|Income before tax||1,659.82B||2,563.89B||1,940.04B||552,232M||934,349M|
|Dividends Per Share||5,000||6,000||6,000||2,000||10,000|
|Operating cash flow||2,518.10B||3,182.86B||2,124.96B||3,121.10B||5,841.56B|
|Dec 2016||Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019||Dec 2020|
|Income before tax||1,430.65M||2,267.90M||1,762.84M||473.53M||791.89M|
|Dividends Per Share||4.30||5.30||5.45||1.71||8.47|
|Operating cash flow||2,170.42M||2,815.42M||1,930.88M||2,676.33M||4,950.94M|
- Vice Chairman & Chief Executive Officer: Hak Cheol Shin
- President: Okdong Son
- Chief Financial Officer & Director: Dong-Seok Cha
- CTO & President-Executive Board: Ki-Soo No
- Managing Director: Hyang-Mok Lee
- LG Corp. (33.3%)
- National Pension Service of Korea (7.8%)
- LG Chem Ltd. (1.6%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc. (1.6%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors (1.5%)
- Norges Bank Investment Management (1.0%)
- Mirae Asset Global Investments Co., Ltd. (0.8%)
- JPMorgan Asset Management (UK) Ltd. (0.7%)
- Samsung Asset Management Co., Ltd. (0.7%)
- BlackRock Advisors LLC (0.6%)
- Address: LG Twin Tower, 128 Yeoui-daero, Seoul, 07336, South Korea
- Phone: +82.2.3777.1114
- LG Chem TK Kimya Sanayi ve Ticaret Ltd. Sti.
- LG Chem Life Science Innovation Center, Inc.
- LG Chem Nanjing Energy Solution Co., Ltd.
- LG Chem Fund I LLC
- LG Chem (Guangzhou) Information & Electronics Materials
- LG Chem Hai Phong engineering Plastics LLC
- LG Chem Mexico SA de CV
- LG Chem Hai Phong Vietnam Co., Ltd.
- LG Chem Life Sciences (Thailand) Ltd.
- LG Chem Life Sciences (Beijing) Co., Ltd.
- LG Chem (Chongqing) Engineering Plastics Co., Ltd.
- LG NanoH2O LLC
- LG Chem Japan Co., Ltd.
- LGC Petrochemical India Pvt Ltd.
- LG Energy Solution Ltd.
- LG Chem Ltd. /LCD Polarizer Bus/
- LG Chem Wroclaw Energy Sp zoo
- LG Chem Ltd. /Photoresist Business/
- LG Chem (China) Investment Co., Ltd.
- Ningbo Zhenhai LG Yongxing Trade Co., Ltd.
- LG Chem (HUIZHOU) Petrochemical Co., Ltd.
- Haengboknuri Co., Ltd.
- LG Chem Ltd. /Pesticide Bus/
- LG Chemical Tianjin Plant
- Daejung Em Co., Ltd. /Cathode Material Bus/
- LG Hausys Ltd. /Adhesive Film Div/
- Nanjing LG Chem New Energy Battery Co., Ltd.
- Tianjin LG BOTIAN Chemical Co., Ltd.
- LG Polycarbonate Ltd.
- LG Chem Display Materials (Beijing) Co., Ltd.
- BASF SE
- Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Corporation
- Dow, Inc.
- Saudi Basic Industries Corp.
- DuPont de Nemours, Inc.
- Asahi Kasei Corporation
- LyondellBasell Industries NV
- Linde plc
- Air Liquide SA
- Sumitomo Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Eastman Chemical Company
- AK Holdings, Inc.
- Lotte Chemical Corp.
- Benq Materials Corporation
- Formosa Chemicals & Fibre Corporation
- Aekyung Petrochemical Co., Ltd.
- Celxpert Energy Corporation
- Hansol Chemical Co., Ltd
- Oil Refineries Ltd.
- Samyang Corporation
- OCI Co., Ltd
- Lotte Corp
- Electrovaya Inc.
- CBAK Energy Technology, Inc.
- Guangdong Silver Age Sci & Tech Co., Ltd. Class A
- Contemporary Amperex Technology Co., Ltd. Class A
- Enphase Energy, Inc.
- Lumos Pharma, Inc.
- Paik Kwang Industrial Co., Ltd.
- USI Corporation
Copyright © 2021 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.Last Updated on 18 Oct, 2021
Nikkei Asian Review, now known as Nikkei Asia, will be the voice of the Asian Century.