Lenovo Group Ltd.
In the news
- Indonesian entrepreneur brings youthful insights to government Aug 17, 2020
- Chinese tech companies topple Japan, chase US in market share Aug 12, 2020
- Samsung to end Chinese PC production as costs soar Aug 4, 2020
- Japan buyout firm sees more opportunities after Olympus deal Jul 22, 2020
- Lenovo brings 'foldable' PC into post-pandemic working world Jul 14, 2020 See more articles on Lenovo Group Ltd.
Lenovo Group of China is the world's largest maker of personal computers. The company has recently been expanding its business in the peripheral fields, such as smartphones, tablet computers and enterprise servers, focusing on its so-called PC Plus strategy to diversify its product portfolio. The company is also stepping up efforts to develop wearable gadgets, aiming to become an all-around manufacturer in the information technology field.
Founded by Liu Chuanzhi and his colleagues, Lenovo began as a PC sales unit in 1984, when Liu was a researcher at the state-run Chinese Academy of Sciences. In the 1990s, the company started selling PCs under its own brand, building up sales by offering prices lower than those of its rivals. By the late 1990s, it had claimed the top share of the domestic PC market.
Lenovo made big strides in the global market after acquiring the PC business of U.S. technology powerhouse IBM in 2005. The company has rapidly expanded its overseas sales, helped by the global popularity of the ThinkPad brand, originally developed by IBM.
Lenovo is also known for aggressively pursuing mergers and acquisitions. In 2011, it merged its PC operations with those of Japanese IT solutions provider NEC, launching a PC joint venture in Japan. In 2014, the Chinese company bought the Motorola's smartphone business from U.S. search giant Google.
Chinese investment company Legend Holdings, which Liu heads, holds slightly more than 30% of Lenovo's outstanding shares. Lenovo is also known for its close ties with the Chinese government, a relationship that has been a source of Internet security concerns in the U.S. and Europe. Ensuring management transparency is seen as a main challenge facing the company as it grows.
|Income before tax||8,068.73M||1,032.25M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.27||0.03|
|Operating cash flow||17,278.07M||2,210.42M|
|Currency in HKD||Currency in USD|
|Mar 2016||Mar 2017||Mar 2018||Mar 2019||Mar 2020|
|Income before tax||-2,061.55M||3,801.32M||1,196.40M||6,718.03M||8,068.73M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.26||0.26||0.26||0.27||0.27|
|Operating cash flow||2,525.85M||16,963.36M||-6,069.19M||11,343.12M||17,278.07M|
|Mar 2016||Mar 2017||Mar 2018||Mar 2019||Mar 2020|
|Income before tax||-265.75M||489.92M||153.20M||856.66M||1,032.25M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.03||0.03||0.03||0.03||0.03|
|Operating cash flow||325.60M||2,186.29M||-777.17M||1,446.44M||2,210.42M|
- Chairman & Chief Executive Officer: Yuan Qing Yang
- President & Chief Operating Officer: Gianfranco Lanci
- Chief Financial Officer & Executive Vice President: Wai Ming Wong
- Chief Information Officer & Senior Vice President: Arthur Hu
- Chief Technology Officer & Senior Vice President: Yong Rui
- Legend Holdings Corp. (29.0%)
- Union Star Ltd. (Kayman Islands) (6.3%)
- YANG YUAN QING (5.9%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors (1.5%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc. (1.5%)
- Eastspring Investments (Singapore) Ltd. (1.4%)
- Dimensional Fund Advisors LP (1.1%)
- Norges Bank Investment Management (0.8%)
- FIL Investment Management (Hong Kong) Ltd. (0.7%)
- Swedbank Robur Fonder AB (0.5%)
- Address: Lincoln House, Taikoo Place, 979 King's Road, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Phone: +852.2590.0228
- Lenovo (Tianjin) Commercial Factoring Co., Ltd.
- Motorola Mobility Comercio de Produtos Eletronicos Ltda.
- Lenovo East Europe/Asia LLC
- Lenovo (Venezuela) SA
- Lenovo PC International Ltd.
- Lenovo (Israel) Ltd.
- Lenovo (Huiyang) Electronic Industrial Co., Ltd.
- Lenovo (Hong Kong) Ltd.
- Lenovo Global Technology (Hong Kong) Distribution Ltd.
- Lenovo HK Services Ltd.
- Lenovo Enterprise Solutions LLC
- Beijing Lenovo Software Ltd.
- Lenovo (Asia Pacific) Ltd. Sucursal Colombia
- Lenovo Philippines, Inc.
- Lenovo Global Technology Korea LLC
- Lenovo Global Technology (India) Pvt Ltd.
- Lenovo Global Technology (Asia Pacific) Ltd.
- Lenovo Agencia en Chile
- Lenovo Global Technology Germany GmbH
- Lenovo Enterprise Technology Co., Ltd.
- Lenovo Global Technology UK Ltd.
- Motorola Mobility UK Ltd.
- Lenovo (Shanghai) Co., Ltd.
- Shenzhen Lenovo Overseas Holdings Ltd.
- Lenovo Magyarorszag Kft
- Leap Wave Ltd.
- Lenovo Enterprise Solutions (Singapore) Pte Ltd.
- Lenovo Shenzhen Electronics Co., Ltd.
- Lenovo Manufacturing Ltd. /Vg/
- Motorola Wuhan Mobility Technologies Communication Co., Ltd.
- HP Inc.
- Dell Technologies Inc Class C
- Nokia Oyj
- Super Micro Computer, Inc.
- Archos SA
- Cisco Systems, Inc.
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise Co.
- Dawning Information Industry Co., Ltd. Class A
- One Stop Systems, Inc.
- Inspur Software Co., Ltd. Class A
- Inspur Electronic Information Industry Co., Ltd. Class A
- PC Connection, Inc.
- Insight Enterprises, Inc.
- 2CRSI SA
- China Techfaith Wireless Communication Technology Ltd. Sponsored ADR
- Vuzix Corporation
- Nutanix, Inc. Class A
- Inseego Corp.
- Computer Direct Group Ltd
- Formula Systems (1985) Ltd.
- Matrix IT Ltd.
- One Software Technologies Ltd.
- Red Cat Holdings Inc
- Sichuan Tianyi Comheart Telecom Co., Ltd. Class A
- Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.Last Updated on 11 May, 2021
Nikkei Asian Review, now known as Nikkei Asia, will be the voice of the Asian Century.