Lenovo Group Ltd.
In the news
- Apple to replace Intel processors for Macs with in-house chips Jun 23, 2020
- Lenovo says coronavirus will spur PC and data center demand May 20, 2020
- Vaio doubles PC production with supply chains reconnected May 19, 2020
- 'Work from home' to cost Japanese companies $12.1bn, study finds May 5, 2020
- Wuhan's tech and auto factories up and humming as lockdown lifted Apr 9, 2020 See more articles on Lenovo Group Ltd.
Lenovo Group of China is the world's largest maker of personal computers. The company has recently been expanding its business in the peripheral fields, such as smartphones, tablet computers and enterprise servers, focusing on its so-called PC Plus strategy to diversify its product portfolio. The company is also stepping up efforts to develop wearable gadgets, aiming to become an all-around manufacturer in the information technology field.
Founded by Liu Chuanzhi and his colleagues, Lenovo began as a PC sales unit in 1984, when Liu was a researcher at the state-run Chinese Academy of Sciences. In the 1990s, the company started selling PCs under its own brand, building up sales by offering prices lower than those of its rivals. By the late 1990s, it had claimed the top share of the domestic PC market.
Lenovo made big strides in the global market after acquiring the PC business of U.S. technology powerhouse IBM in 2005. The company has rapidly expanded its overseas sales, helped by the global popularity of the ThinkPad brand, originally developed by IBM.
Lenovo is also known for aggressively pursuing mergers and acquisitions. In 2011, it merged its PC operations with those of Japanese IT solutions provider NEC, launching a PC joint venture in Japan. In 2014, the Chinese company bought the Motorola's smartphone business from U.S. search giant Google.
Chinese investment company Legend Holdings, which Liu heads, holds slightly more than 30% of Lenovo's outstanding shares. Lenovo is also known for its close ties with the Chinese government, a relationship that has been a source of Internet security concerns in the U.S. and Europe. Ensuring management transparency is seen as a main challenge facing the company as it grows.
|Income before tax||8,068.73M||1,032.25M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.27||0.03|
|Operating cash flow||17,278.07M||2,210.42M|
|Currency in HKD||Currency in USD|
|Mar 2016||Mar 2017||Mar 2018||Mar 2019||Mar 2020|
|Income before tax||-2,061.55M||3,801.32M||1,196.40M||6,718.03M||8,068.73M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.26||0.26||0.26||0.27||0.27|
|Operating cash flow||2,525.85M||16,963.36M||-6,069.19M||11,343.12M||17,278.07M|
|Mar 2016||Mar 2017||Mar 2018||Mar 2019||Mar 2020|
|Income before tax||-265.75M||489.92M||153.20M||856.66M||1,032.25M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.03||0.03||0.03||0.03||0.03|
|Operating cash flow||325.60M||2,186.29M||-777.17M||1,446.44M||2,210.42M|
- Chairman & Chief Executive Officer: Yuan Qing Yang
- President & Chief Operating Officer: Gianfranco Lanci
- Chief Financial Officer & Executive Vice President: Wai Ming Wong
- Chief Information Officer & Senior Vice President: Arthur Hu
- Chief Technology Officer & Senior Vice President: Yong Rui
- Legend Holdings Corp. (29.1%)
- Union Star Ltd. (Kayman Islands) (7.2%)
- YANG YUAN QING (5.9%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc. (1.8%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors (1.4%)
- Eastspring Investments (Singapore) Ltd. (1.2%)
- FIL Investment Management (Hong Kong) Ltd. (1.0%)
- Dimensional Fund Advisors LP (0.9%)
- Norges Bank Investment Management (0.8%)
- DNB Asset Management AS (0.7%)
- Address: Lincoln House, Taikoo Place, 979 King's Road, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Phone: +852.2590.0228
- Lenovo Global Technology (India) Pvt Ltd.
- Lenovo Global Technology (Asia Pacific) Ltd.
- Lenovo Agencia en Chile
- Lenovo Global Technology Germany GmbH
- Lenovo Global Technology UK Ltd.
- Motorola Mobility UK Ltd.
- Leap Wave Ltd.
- Lenovo Enterprise Solutions (Singapore) Pte Ltd.
- Lenovo Manufacturing Ltd. /Vg/
- Motorola (Beijing) Mobility Technologies Co. Ltd.
- Lenovo Global Technology HK Ltd.
- Lenovo (Shanghai) Computer Technology Co., Ltd.
- Lenovo Beijing Information Technology Co., Ltd.
- Lenovo Mobile Communication Import & Export Wuhan Co., Ltd.
- Lenovo (Shanghai) Information Technology Co., Ltd.
- Lenovo (Thailand) Ltd.
- Lenovo Perpetual Securities Ltd.
- Lenovo (Canada), Inc.
- Lenovo Technology BV (Netherlands)
- Lenovo US Fulfillment Center LLC
- Lenovo Systems Technology Co. Ltd.
- Lenovo PC HK Ltd.
- International Business Machines Corp. /Servers X86 Division/
- Lenovo Turkey
- Lenovo (South Africa) (Pty) Ltd.
- Motorola Mobility LLC
- Lenovo Technology Sdn. Bhd.
- Lenovo (Slovakia) sro
- Lenovo (Australia & New Zealand) Pty Ltd.
- Stoneware, Inc.
- HP Inc.
- Dell Technologies Inc Class C
- Super Micro Computer, Inc.
- Archos SA
- Cisco Systems, Inc.
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise Co.
- Dawning Information Industry Co., Ltd. Class A
- One Stop Systems, Inc.
- Inspur Electronic Information Industry Co., Ltd. Class A
- PC Connection, Inc.
- Insight Enterprises, Inc.
- 2CRSI SA
- China Techfaith Wireless Communication Technology Ltd. Sponsored ADR
- Vuzix Corporation
- Nutanix, Inc. Class A
- Inseego Corp.
- Computer Direct Group Ltd
- Formula Systems (1985) Ltd.
- Matrix IT Ltd.
- One Software Technologies Ltd.
- Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd.
Copyright © 2020 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.Last Updated on 30 Jun, 2020