In the news
- TSMC and MediaTek fuel rebound by Taiwan's tech sector Aug 22, 2020
- Arm China asks Beijing to intervene in row with UK parent Jul 29, 2020
- How SoftBank's sale of Arm China sowed the seeds of discord Jun 16, 2020
- Trump's sanctions won't put Huawei out of business Jun 12, 2020
- TSMC says other clients can 'fill gap' if US ban hits Huawei Jun 9, 2020 See more articles on MediaTek, Inc.
MediaTek is a leading Taiwanese fabless chipmaker, which provides large-scale integration systems essential for smartphones, flat-screen TVs and other electronic devices. The company's strength is in supplying low-priced chips.
MediaTek was founded in 1997 by Tsai Ming-kai, who was formerly an engineer at Taiwanese chip foundry United Microelectronics. Tsai became chairman and CEO of the company. The chipmaker started as a developer of LSIs for CD-ROMs, and later expanded its business to cellphones and smartphones.
The company distributes reference designs, which include blueprints and recommended parts for the production of smartphones, allowing manufacturers in China and other countries to easily develop smartphones. Therefore, MediaTek is sometimes referred to as "the architect of cheap smartphones."
In February 2014, MediaTek further increased its market share of semiconductors used for flat-screen TVs by acquiring fellow Taiwanese chip maker MStar Semiconductor.
Although MediaTek rapidly boosted its market share of chips for smartphones in China, India and other emerging markets, the chipmaker will be stiffer competition for U.S Qualcomm and Chinese chip producer Spreadtrum Communications. The company is working to create demand for automobiles and wearables.
|Income before tax||125,873.57M||4,506.45M|
|Dividends Per Share||73.00||2.61|
|Operating cash flow||49,624.24M||1,776.61M|
|Currency in TWD||Currency in USD|
|Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019||Dec 2020||Dec 2021|
|Income before tax||27,165.29M||23,330.29M||27,099.98M||47,231.63M||125,873.57M|
|Dividends Per Share||10||9||10.50||37||73.00|
|Operating cash flow||20,054.92M||19,324.59M||46,608.59M||79,172.29M||49,624.24M|
|Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019||Dec 2020||Dec 2021|
|Income before tax||892.92M||773.69M||876.66M||1,604.08M||4,506.45M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.32||0.29||0.33||1.25||2.61|
|Operating cash flow||659.20M||640.85M||1,507.74M||2,688.86M||1,776.61M|
- Vice Chairman, CEO & Co-General Manager: Rick Tsai
- General Manager & Director: Joe Chen
- CFO, Spokesman, Head-Finance & Accounting: Ta-Wei Ku
- Chief Technology Officer & Senior Deputy GM: Yue Chun Chou
- Deputy General Manager: Kuo Hung Lu
- The Vanguard Group, Inc. (2.9%)
- GIC Pte Ltd. (Investment Management) (2.8%)
- TSAI MING CHIEH /TW/ (2.5%)
- LEE CHUI HSING (2.5%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors (1.9%)
- Invesco Advisers, Inc. (1.9%)
- Yuanta Securities Investment Trust Co., Ltd. (1.9%)
- Saudi Arabian Monetary Agency (Investment Management) (1.8%)
- CHO CHIH CHE (1.8%)
- Labor Pension New Fund (1.7%)
- Address: Hsinchu Science Park, No. 1, Dusing 1st Road, Hsinchu, 300096, Taiwan
- Phone: +886.3.5670766
- Putian Joint Micro Technology, Inc.
- Digimoc Holdings Ltd.
- MStar Co. Ltd.
- HFI Innovation, Inc.
- E-Vehicle Investment Ltd.
- MediaTek Investment Singapore Pte Ltd.
- Pollex Mobile Holdings Ltd.
- Mrise Technology, Inc.
- Mountain Capital LP
- Hsu-Si Investment Corp.
- MediaTek Ventures
- Mediatek (Suzhou), Inc.
- T-Rich Technology (Cayman) Corp.
- Hesine Technologies International Worldwide, Inc.
- MediaTek Wireless, Inc.
- MediaTek Wireless Ltd. (Ireland)
- CoreTech Resources, Inc.
- Hsu-Xin Investment Corp.
- Hsu-Chuang Investment Corp.
- Mediatek Foundation
- ASTwireless Corp.
- Vogins Technology Co. Ltd.
- K-WILL Corp. (Japan)
- Analog Devices, Inc. /Baseband Chipset Operations/
- Hsu-Ta Investment Corp.
- MStar Semiconductor, Inc.
- Spidcom Technologies SA
- Hsu Kang Investment Co. Ltd.
- Hsu-Chia Investment Co. Ltd.
- Hsu Ta Investment Co. Ltd.
- NXP Semiconductors NV
- Silicon Laboratories Inc.
- Infineon Technologies AG
- MaxLinear, Inc.
- Marvell Technology, Inc.
- Synaptics Incorporated
- Broadcom Inc.
- LX Semicon Co., Ltd.
- Alpha and Omega Semiconductor Limited
- O2Micro International Limited Sponsored ADR
- Parade Technologies, Ltd.
- Global Mixed-Mode Technology, Inc.
- QUALCOMM Incorporated
- Sitronix Technology Corp.
- Himax Technologies, Inc. Sponsored ADR
- Novatek Microelectronics Corp.
- Pixelworks, Inc.
- Richwave Technology Corporation
- Cirrus Logic, Inc.
- Macroblock, Inc.
- ASR Microelectronics Co., Ltd. Class A
- Ambarella, Inc.
- FocalTech Systems Co., Ltd.
- ALi Corporation
- CEVA, Inc.
- Shanghai Fullhan Microelectronics Co., Ltd. Class A
- Wuxi ETEK Microelectronics Co., Ltd. Class A
- Allwinner Technology Co., Ltd. Class A
- Peraso, Inc.
- Sequans Communications SA Sponsored ADR
Copyright © 2022 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.Last Updated on 28 Nov, 2022
Discover the all new Nikkei Asia app
- Take your reading anywhere with offline reading functions
- Never miss a story with breaking news alerts
- Customize your reading experience
Nikkei Asian Review, now known as Nikkei Asia, will be the voice of the Asian Century.