POSCO Holdings Inc.
In the news
- Nippon Steel to immediately appeal South Korea's asset seizure Aug 4, 2020
- Japan-South Korea labor row muddles US plans on China Aug 4, 2020
- Australia challenges China's graphite crown in EV batteries Jul 25, 2020
- Posco to shut aging furnace as coronavirus erodes steel demand Jul 21, 2020
- South Korea sets for August sale of Japan assets over war labor Jun 4, 2020 See more articles on POSCO Holdings Inc.
Posco, South Korea's largest steelmaker, produced 41.48 million tons of crude steel in 2014. That made it No. 5 in the world.
Domestic production is concentrated at two integrated mills with blast furnaces, located in the cities of Pohang, North Gyeongsang Province, and Gwangyang, South Jeolla Province.
The company also set up Southeast Asia's first blast furnace in the western part of Java, Indonesia, in a joint venture with Indonesian state-run enterprise Krakatau Steel.
The Pohang steelworks, South Korea's first plant with a blast furnace, came onstream in 1973. It was primarily funded with grants and soft loans provided by Japan in lieu of war reparations, based on the countries' 1965 treaty on basic relations.
Since the plant opened, Posco has underpinned South Korea's industrialization efforts. In 2000, the company was fully privatized after government-affiliated Korea Development Bank sold its entire stake.
For years, Posco was the dominant supplier of high-end steel plate to domestic customers. Today, the company is locked in a rivalry with Hyundai Steel, which belongs to the Hyundai Motor group and runs three domestic blast furnaces.
The competition centers on steel plate for automobiles and planks for ships.
In response to a surge in Chinese steel production, Posco has sought other revenue sources in recent years, such as trading and energy. Acquisitions, however, swelled the company's debt. Chairman Kwon Oh-joon, who took office in March 2014, said the company would reconsider its diversification strategy and refocus on steelmaking.
Posco is looking to land more orders from not only South Korean companies but also Japanese, European and other global automakers. It aims to leverage its Chinese and Mexican plants for hot-dip galvanized steel plate, used in cars.
The company supplies magnesium sheet, a new type of material, to German automaker Porsche.
|Income before tax||8,766.50B||7,655.26M|
|Dividends Per Share||17,000||14.84|
|Operating cash flow||6,242.87B||5,451.53M|
|Currency in KRW||Currency in USD|
|Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019||Dec 2020||Dec 2021|
|Income before tax||4,179.69B||3,562.82B||2,779.53B||1,891.78B||8,766.50B|
|Dividends Per Share||8,000||10,000||10,000||8,000||17,000|
|Operating cash flow||5,539.52B||5,823.55B||5,988.16B||8,669.19B||6,242.87B|
|Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019||Dec 2020||Dec 2021|
|Income before tax||3,697.17M||3,237.40M||2,383.44M||1,603.36M||7,655.26M|
|Dividends Per Share||7.07||9.08||8.57||6.78||14.84|
|Operating cash flow||4,900.02M||5,291.65M||5,134.83M||7,347.47M||5,451.53M|
- Chairman & Co-Chief Executive Officer: Jeong-Woo Choi
- Co-Chief Executive Officer & Director: Jung-Son Chon
- Co-President, Co-CEO & Director: In-Hwa Chang
- Senior Managing Director & Head-Finance: Seung-Kyu Lim
- Head-Legal & Compliance Support: Seong-Wook Lee
- POSCO Holdings Inc. (9.5%)
- National Pension Service of Korea (8.7%)
- GIC Pte Ltd. (Investment Management) (4.3%)
- NIPPON STEEL CORP. (3.3%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors (2.1%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc. (2.0%)
- Fidelity Management & Research Co. LLC (1.8%)
- POSCO Holdings Inc. Employee Stock Ownership Association (1.4%)
- ARGA Investment Management LP (0.8%)
- Samsung Asset Management Co., Ltd. (0.7%)
- Address: POSCO Center, 892 Daechi 4-dong, Seoul, 06194, South Korea
- Phone: +82.2.3457.0114
- Posco Venture Capital Co Ltd
- NEH Co., Ltd
- POSCO /Logistics Bus/
- POSCO CHEMICAL Free Zone Enterprise
- POSCO Argentina SAU
- DAESAN (CAMBODIA) Co., Ltd.
- PGSF LP
- PT POSCO Indonesia Inti
- POSCO Mauritius Ltd.
- POSCO WA Pty Ltd.
- POSCO NCR Coal Ltd.
- POSCO America Alabama Processing Center Co. Ltd.
- POSCO TNPC Otomotiv Celik San. ve Tic. AS
- POSCO India Processing Center Pvt Ltd.
- POSCO RU LLC
- PT Krakatau POSCO Social Enterprise
- POSMATE-China Co., Ltd.
- POSCO-Mexico Villagran Wire-rod Processing Center
- POSCO-Italy Processing Center
- POSCO Africa (Pty) Ltd.
- Hunchun Posco Hyundai Logistics
- IMP Fund I
- Posco New Growth
- POSCO O&M CO., Ltd.
- Uitrans Co., Ltd.
- POSCO Research & Technology
- POSCO Coated Steel (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
- Incheon-Gimpo Highway Co., Ltd.
- Tera Technos Co. Ltd.
- Baoshan Iron & Steel Co., Ltd. Class A
- GS Holdings Corp.
- ArcelorMittal SA
- Hyundai Steel Company
- POSCO M-TECH Co., Ltd.
- Korea Electric Power Corporation
- Korea Gas Corporation
- PJ Metal Co., Ltd.
- S-Oil Corporation
- SK Inc.
- KUMHO Engineering & Construction Co., Ltd.
- Dongbu Corporation
- Dongkuk Industries Co., Ltd.
- HJ SHIPBUILDING & CONSTRUCTION CO. LTD
- POSCO Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Kye-Ryong Construction Industrial Co., Ltd.
- Ternium S.A. Sponsored ADR
- SeAH Holdings Corporation
- Daiyang Metal Co., Ltd.
- Chosun Refractories Co., Ltd
- Moonbae Steel Co., Ltd.
- PBG S.A.
- Outokumpu Oyj
- Hanchang Corp.
- Nickel Industries Limited
- Orbite Technologies Inc. Class A
- Peabody Energy Corporation
Copyright © 2022 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.Last Updated on 10 Aug, 2022
Nikkei Asian Review, now known as Nikkei Asia, will be the voice of the Asian Century.