PetroChina Co., Ltd.
PetroChina is a Hong Kong-listed subsidiary of the mainland's state-run China National Petroleum Corp., known as CNPC. The parent company has played a leading role in China's oil industry and energy strategy since the Ministry of Petroleum Industry became CNPC in 1988. The CNPC chairman has power equivalent to Chinese government cabinet members.
PetroChina's core businesses are development and production of crude oil and natural gas. It is one of the world's largest oil companies. Its domestic rivals include state-owned enterprise China Petrochemical, also known as Sinopec.
Zhou Yongkang, a disgraced former member of the Chinese Communist Party's Politburo Standing Committee, worked at CNPC. Under Chinese President Xi Jinping's anti-corruption drive, the government cracked down on senior officials at PetroChina.
PetroChina has aggressively expanded its business in Sudan, Libya, Iraq, Syria and other war-torn or dangerous areas, where major U.S. and European companies hesitate to invest. After entering into such markets, however, many projects have failed amid worsening public security. The company has recently scaled down its resource investment, in line with China's "new normal" of slower growth under Xi.
A big challenge for PetroChina is transparency. The company took on 60% of CNPC's total assets when it went public. CNPC accounts for slightly more than 80% of PetroChina's outstanding shares. PetroChina's management does not appear to be influenced by shareholders.
|Income before tax||230,280.11M||29,408.14M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.47||0.06|
|Operating cash flow||459,582.25M||58,691.38M|
|Currency in HKD||Currency in USD|
|Dec 2018||Dec 2019||Dec 2020||Dec 2021||Dec 2022|
|Income before tax||124,513.34M||107,705.05M||59,038.84M||174,678.45M||230,280.11M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.20||0.15||0.20||0.26||0.47|
|Operating cash flow||405,397.11M||397,443.39M||347,429.13M||414,300.90M||459,582.25M|
|Dec 2018||Dec 2019||Dec 2020||Dec 2021||Dec 2022|
|Income before tax||15,886.77M||13,746.30M||7,612.02M||22,472.93M||29,408.14M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.02||0.02||0.02||0.03||0.06|
|Operating cash flow||51,725.01M||50,725.37M||44,794.91M||53,301.11M||58,691.38M|
- President & Executive Director: Yong Zhang Huang
- Chief Financial Officer & Secretary: Hua Wang
- Chief Engineer: Jigang Yang
- Member-Supervisory Board & CMP: Ying Zhao
- Executive Director & Senior Vice President: Li Xin Ren
- The Vanguard Group, Inc. (3.1%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors (2.6%)
- GQG Partners LLC (1.9%)
- China State-Owned Assets Supervision & Admn Commission (1.3%)
- Dimensional Fund Advisors LP (1.3%)
- State Street Global Advisors Asia Ltd. (1.0%)
- FIL Investment Management (Hong Kong) Ltd. (0.8%)
- Geode Capital Management LLC (0.8%)
- BlackRock Advisors (UK) Ltd. (0.7%)
- Charles Schwab Investment Management, Inc. (0.6%)
- Address: No. 9, Dongzhimen North Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing, 100007, China
- Phone: +86.10.59986223
- PetroChina Jinchang Sales Co., Ltd.
- Petrochina Co., Ltd. /Hubei Wuhan Sales Branch/
- PetroChina Heilongjiang Harbin Sales Co.
- PetroChina Co., Ltd. (Guangxi Sales Branch)
- PetroChina Co., Ltd. (Guangxi Laibin Sales Branch)
- PetroChina Co., Ltd. /Daqing Refining Branch/
- PetroChina Hunan Sales Co., Ltd.
- PetroChina Heilongjiang Marketing Co.
- PetroChina Dalian Petrochemical Co.
- Tibet Shannan Yala Xiangbu Industrial Ltd.
- Dongguan Humen Port Tongzhou Petrochemical Terminal Co., Ltd.
- PetroChina (Nanjing) Co., Ltd.
- PetroChina Chongqing Sales Co., Ltd.
- Petrochina Jilin Natural Gas Pipeline Co. Ltd.
- Phoenix Energy Holdings Ltd. (Canada)
- Petrochina Hong Kong Co. Ltd.
- Forever Glowing International Pte Ltd.
- PetroChina Co., Ltd. (Lubricating Oil Branch)
- Daqing Oilfield Construction Group Co., Ltd.
- PetroChina Co., Ltd. /Huabei Petrochemical Branch Co./
- Petro China Co., Ltd. Jilin Petrochemical Branch
- PetroChina & CRMSC Oil Marketing Co., Ltd.
- Petrochina Co. Ltd. /Yunnan Refinery/
- Jilin Petrochemical Co.
- Sichuan Shengda Chemical New Material Co., Ltd.
- Brion Duvernay Gas Partnership
- PetroChina International Iraq FZE Iraq Branch
- PetroChina International Jabung Ltd
- PetroChina Coalbed Methane Co., Ltd.
- Petrochina Co., Ltd. /Shangluo Luonan Sales Branch/
- Rosneft Oil Co.
- SK Innovation Co., Ltd
- Jiangsu Zhongsheng Gaoke Environmental Co., Ltd. Class A
- Murphy Oil Corporation
- HD HYUNDAI CO.,LTD.
- Indonesia Energy Corporation Limited
- Qingdao Copton Technology Co., Ltd. Class A
- W-SCOPE CHUNGJU PLANT Co., Ltd.
- Fuchs Petrolub SE Pref
- Qianjiang Yongan Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. Class A
- Athabasca Oil Corporation
- Blue Energy Limited
- Hubei Guochuang Hi-Tech Material Co ltd Class A
- Longhua Technology Group (Luoyang) Co,. Ltd. Class A
- Petro Matad Limited
- Sino Prima Gas Technology Co., Ltd. Class A
- Zhongyu Energy Holdings Limited
Copyright © 2023 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.Last Updated on 25 May, 2023
Discover the all new Nikkei Asia app
- Take your reading anywhere with offline reading functions
- Never miss a story with breaking news alerts
- Customize your reading experience
Nikkei Asian Review, now known as Nikkei Asia, will be the voice of the Asian Century.