SAIC Motor Corp. Ltd.
SAIC Motor is a Chinese state-owned automaker based in Shanghai. Founded in 1955, SAIC is one of China's three biggest automakers, alongside FAW and Dongfeng Motor. SAIC has established joint ventures with major Western automakers, including Volkswagen of Germany and General Motors of the U.S. In addition to producing and selling foreign brand vehicles in China, SAIC has also focused on the development of its own-brand vehicles in recent years, and has a bus and truck manufacturer under its wing.
The company set up a joint venture with Volkswagen in 1984 to produce the Santana passenger car, as part of the Chinese government's reform and opening-up policy. That was the first joint venture with foreign capital for a Chinese automaker, and played a central role in the country's increased use of automobiles.
In 1997, SAIC signed a joint-venture contract with GM to produce and sell its Chevrolet, Buick and Cadillac brands. In 2002, SAIC established SAIC-GM-Wuling Automotive, a joint venture with GM, to increase SAIC's share of the market for small, cheap commercial vehicles.
SAIC released its own brand sedan, the Roewe, in 2006. Although the automaker is trying to strengthen its own-brand vehicles to break away from foreign capital, sales are still comparatively small. SAIC is also expanding overseas operations. It has established an automotive joint venture in Thailand with the Thai conglomerate Charoen Pokphand Group.
SAIC Chairman Chen Hong studied electrical engineering at Tongji University in Shanghai. Chen was sent on loan to Shanghai General Motors in 1997 to help with the establishment of the joint venture. He stayed with the company until 2003, but is said to still have strong connections with GM.
|Income before tax||24,191.61M||3,751.01M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.68||0.10|
|Operating cash flow||39,143.65M||6,069.38M|
|Currency in CNY||Currency in USD|
|Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019||Dec 2020||Dec 2021|
|Income before tax||25,957.46M||28,422.98M||18,119.89M||22,295.54M||24,191.61M|
|Dividends Per Share||1.83||1.26||0.88||0.62||0.68|
|Operating cash flow||53,829.31M||42,276.44M||75,265.33M||62,146.90M||39,143.65M|
|Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019||Dec 2020||Dec 2021|
|Income before tax||3,840.87M||4,295.44M||2,622.32M||3,230.19M||3,751.01M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.27||0.19||0.12||0.08||0.10|
|Operating cash flow||7,965.01M||6,389.05M||10,892.46M||9,003.88M||6,069.38M|
- President & Executive Director: Xiaoqiu Wang
- Chief Financial Officer, Secretary & VP: Yong Wei
- Vice President: De Mei Chen
- Vice President: Qing Song Lan
- Group Vice President: Lang Hui Zhou
- Shanghai State-Owned Assets Supervision & Administration (62.6%)
- China State-Owned Assets Supervision & Admn Commission (5.8%)
- Nanjing State Owned Assets Supervision & Admin Commission (3.5%)
- China Securities Finance Corp. Ltd. (2.9%)
- SAIC Motor Corp. Ltd. (1.6%)
- Zhonghai Trust Co., Ltd. (0.9%)
- China Investment Corp. (Investment Management) (0.8%)
- Hebei State-Owned Assets Supervision & Admin. Commission (0.7%)
- China Life Asset Management Co., Ltd. (0.7%)
- China Huarong Asset Management Co., Ltd. (0.6%)
- Address: No. 489, Weihai Road, Jingan District, Shanghai, 200041, China
- Phone: +86.21.2201.1138
- Shanghai Jiehydrogen Technology Co., Ltd.
- China United Automotive System Co., Ltd.
- SAIC Motor (Beijing) Co., Ltd.
- PT SAIC International Indonesia
- Shanghai Shanghong Real Estate Co., Ltd.
- SAIC Group Financial Holding Management Co., Ltd.
- SAIC Activity Centre Co., Ltd.
- Shanghai Automotive News Press Co., Ltd.
- Shanghai E-propulsion Auto Technology Co., Ltd.
- Wuhan Zhonghaiting Data Technology Co., Ltd.
- Global Car Sharing & Rental Co., Ltd.
- SAIC International Trade Co., Ltd.
- SAIC Overseas Mobility Technology Co., Ltd.
- SAIC Motor-CP Co., Ltd.
- Saic Investment Management Co. Ltd.
- SAIC GMF Financial Leasing Co., Ltd.
- SAIC Europe SARL
- STEC USA, Inc.
- Saic Motor Corp. Ltd. /Nanjing Branch/
- SAIC MAXUS Automotive Co., Ltd.
- Nanjing MG Automobile Trading Co., Ltd.
- Shanghai Automobile Import & Export Co., Ltd.
- MG Motor India Pvt Ltd.
- Saic Core Esop
- Saic Venture Capital Investment Co. Ltd.
- Anji Automotive Logistics Co., Ltd.
- SAIC Motor HK Investment Ltd.
- SAIC- GMAC Automotive Finance Co. Ltd.
- SAIC Capital
- Shanghai Auto Group Equity Investment Co., Ltd.
- Great Wall Motor Co., Ltd. Class H
- Dongfeng Automobile Co., Ltd. Class A
- China Automotive Systems, Inc.
- Beiqi Foton Motor Co., Ltd. Class A
- China Grand Automotive Services Group Co., Ltd. Class A
- Jiangnan Mould & Plastic Technology Co., Ltd. Class A
- Hanma Technology Group Co., Ltd. Class A
- KAMAZ PTC
- Beijing Changjiu Logistics Corp Class A
- Ningbo Yong Xin Optics Co., Ltd. Class A
Copyright © 2023 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.Last Updated on 24 Mar, 2023
Discover the all new Nikkei Asia app
- Take your reading anywhere with offline reading functions
- Never miss a story with breaking news alerts
- Customize your reading experience
Nikkei Asian Review, now known as Nikkei Asia, will be the voice of the Asian Century.