SAIC Motor Corp. Ltd.
In the news
- Maruti Suzuki and Renault drive India's auto rebound Aug 13, 2020
- VW extends China market lead with new low-cost brand Jetta Aug 10, 2020
- China automakers call for stimulus as coronavirus carnage bites May 13, 2020
- Huawei races to debut HiCar connected-car tech this year May 9, 2020
- Chinese carmakers hope antivirus extras can spark buying interest Apr 27, 2020 See more articles on SAIC Motor Corp. Ltd.
SAIC Motor is a Chinese state-owned automaker based in Shanghai. Founded in 1955, SAIC is one of China's three biggest automakers, alongside FAW and Dongfeng Motor. SAIC has established joint ventures with major Western automakers, including Volkswagen of Germany and General Motors of the U.S. In addition to producing and selling foreign brand vehicles in China, SAIC has also focused on the development of its own-brand vehicles in recent years, and has a bus and truck manufacturer under its wing.
The company set up a joint venture with Volkswagen in 1984 to produce the Santana passenger car, as part of the Chinese government's reform and opening-up policy. That was the first joint venture with foreign capital for a Chinese automaker, and played a central role in the country's increased use of automobiles.
In 1997, SAIC signed a joint-venture contract with GM to produce and sell its Chevrolet, Buick and Cadillac brands. In 2002, SAIC established SAIC-GM-Wuling Automotive, a joint venture with GM, to increase SAIC's share of the market for small, cheap commercial vehicles.
SAIC released its own brand sedan, the Roewe, in 2006. Although the automaker is trying to strengthen its own-brand vehicles to break away from foreign capital, sales are still comparatively small. SAIC is also expanding overseas operations. It has established an automotive joint venture in Thailand with the Thai conglomerate Charoen Pokphand Group.
SAIC Chairman Chen Hong studied electrical engineering at Tongji University in Shanghai. Chen was sent on loan to Shanghai General Motors in 1997 to help with the establishment of the joint venture. He stayed with the company until 2003, but is said to still have strong connections with GM.
|Income before tax||18,119.89M||2,622.32M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.88||0.12|
|Operating cash flow||75,265.33M||10,892.46M|
|Currency in CNY||Currency in USD|
|Dec 2015||Dec 2016||Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019|
|Income before tax||19,177.56M||22,737.72M||25,957.46M||28,422.98M||18,119.89M|
|Dividends Per Share||1.36||1.65||1.83||1.26||0.88|
|Operating cash flow||54,381.58M||39,899.80M||53,829.31M||42,276.44M||75,265.33M|
|Dec 2015||Dec 2016||Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019|
|Income before tax||3,051.26M||3,422.52M||3,840.87M||4,295.44M||2,622.32M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.21||0.24||0.27||0.19||0.12|
|Operating cash flow||8,652.43M||6,005.78M||7,965.01M||6,389.05M||10,892.46M|
- President & Director: Xiaoqiu Wang
- Chief Financial Officer & Board Secretary: Yong Wei
- Vice President: Lang Hui Zhou
- Vice President: De Mei Chen
- Vice President: Qing Song Lan
- Shanghai State-Owned Assets Supervision & Administration (71.2%)
- Nanjing State Owned Assets Supervision & Admin Commission (3.5%)
- China Securities Finance Corp. Ltd. (2.9%)
- Zhonghai Trust Co., Ltd. (0.9%)
- China Investment Corp. (Investment Management) (0.8%)
- SAIC Motor Corp. Ltd. (0.8%)
- Hebei State-Owned Assets Supervision & Admin. Commission (0.7%)
- China Life Asset Management Co., Ltd. (0.7%)
- Guangdong State-Owned Assets Supervision & Administration (0.6%)
- China Huarong Asset Management Co., Ltd. (0.6%)
- Address: No. 489, Weihai Road, Jingan District, Shanghai, 200041, China
- Phone: +86.21.2201.1888
- China United Automotive System Co., Ltd.
- SAIC Motor (Beijing) Co., Ltd.
- PT SAIC International Indonesia
- Shanghai Shanghong Real Estate Co., Ltd.
- SAIC Group Financial Holding Management Co., Ltd.
- SAIC Activity Centre Co., Ltd.
- Shanghai Automotive News Press Co., Ltd.
- Shanghai E-propulsion Auto Technology Co., Ltd.
- Wuhan Zhonghaiting Data Technology Co., Ltd.
- Global Car Sharing & Rental Co., Ltd.
- SAIC International Trade Co., Ltd.
- SAIC Overseas Mobility Technology Co., Ltd.
- SAIC Motor-CP Co., Ltd.
- Saic Investment Management Co. Ltd.
- SAIC GMF Financial Leasing Co., Ltd.
- SAIC Europe SARL
- STEC USA, Inc.
- Saic Motor Corp. Ltd. /Nanjing Branch/
- SAIC MAXUS Automotive Co., Ltd.
- Nanjing MG Automobile Trading Co., Ltd.
- Shanghai Automobile Import & Export Co., Ltd.
- MG Motor India Pvt Ltd.
- Saic Core Esop
- Saic Venture Capital Investment Co. Ltd.
- Anji Automotive Logistics Co., Ltd.
- SAIC Motor HK Investment Ltd.
- SAIC- GMAC Automotive Finance Co., Ltd.
- SAIC Capital
- Shanghai Auto Group Equity Investment Co., Ltd.
- Shanghai Automotive Industry Hong Kong Ltd.
- Guangzhou Automobile Group Co., Ltd. Class H
- Great Wall Motor Co., Ltd. Class H
- Dongfeng Automobile Co., Ltd. Class A
- Beiqi Foton Motor Co., Ltd. Class A
- China Automotive Systems, Inc.
- Hanma Technology Group Co., Ltd. Class A
- PACCAR Inc
- China Zenix Auto International Ltd. Sponsored ADR
- KAMAZ PTC
- Baoli New Energy Technology Co., Ltd. Class A
- Regal Beloit Corp
Copyright © 2021 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.Last Updated on 25 Jan, 2021
Nikkei Asian Review, now known as Nikkei Asia, will be the voice of the Asian Century.