Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
In the news
- Asia stock winners in first quarter: Tencent and Chinese tech Apr 1, 2020
- Southeast Asia's drastic coronavirus response squeezes trade Mar 26, 2020
- India shuts off economy for world's largest coronavirus lockdown Mar 26, 2020
- Apple weighs delaying 5G iPhone launch by months, sources say Mar 26, 2020
- Samsung doubles chipmaking productivity with new etching tech Mar 26, 2020 See more articles on Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics is South Korea's largest company, with its core business semiconductors and electronic products. The company has an overwhelming presence in South Korea and exerts a strong influence over every sector. The success of its smartphone business has boosted the Samsung brand power overseas. In 2012, Samsung was ranked ninth in U.S. company Interbrand's best global brands survey. It was the highest ranking among Asian companies, overtaking Toyota Motor.
The business was founded in 1969 as part of the Samsung group, which had started out as a trading and textile company. Last year the company's owner and chairman, Lee Kun-hee, a son of the founder, collapsed from a heart attack. His son, Lee Jae-yong, who is vice chairman, took over the management of the company. As Jae-yong has no brothers, he is expected to succeed his father as chairman.
Samsung group's structure is complicated, with its companies holding each other's shares. The largest shareholder of Samsung Electronics is Samsung Life Insurance, but Cheil Industries, the top shareholder of Samsung Life Insurance, is considered to be the de facto holding company of the group. As of the end of 2014, Vice Chairman Lee Jae-yong owned 23.23% of Cheil Industries, indicating a generational shift has fairly progressed in terms of ownership.
While the semiconductor business continues to generate high profits, the smartphone operation, which has been behind the company's rapid growth over the past several years, fares poorly these days. The company still makes high profits as a manufacturer, but needs to explore new businesses to get its growth back on track.
|Income before tax||30,019.22B||25,741.41M|
|Dividends Per Share||1,416||1.21|
|Operating cash flow||45,382.91B||38,915.73M|
|Currency in KRW||Currency in USD|
|Dec 2015||Dec 2016||Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019|
|Income before tax||25,960.99B||30,713.65B||56,195.96B||61,159.95B||30,019.22B|
|Dividends Per Share||420||570||850||1,416||1,416|
|Operating cash flow||40,061.76B||47,385.64B||62,162.04B||67,031.86B||45,382.91B|
|Dec 2015||Dec 2016||Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019|
|Income before tax||22,937.72M||26,472.95M||49,708.49M||55,573.78M||25,741.41M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.37||0.49||0.75||1.28||1.21|
|Operating cash flow||35,396.39M||40,843.01M||54,985.82M||60,909.37M||38,915.73M|
- President, Co-CEO & Director: Kinam Kim
- Co-President, Co-CEO & Director: Hyun-Suk Kim
- Co-President, Co-CEO & Director: Dongjin Koh
- Co-President & Head-Research & Development: Tae Moon Roh
- Chief Financial Officer: Hee-Chan Roh
- National Pension Service of Korea (10.7%)
- Samsung Life Insurance Co., Ltd. (8.5%)
- Samsung C&T Corp. (5.0%)
- LEE KUN HEE (4.1%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc. (2.1%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors (1.7%)
- Capital Research & Management Co. (World Investors) (1.7%)
- Samsung Fire & Marine Insurance Co., Ltd. (1.4%)
- Samsung Asset Management Co., Ltd. (1.4%)
- Norges Bank Investment Management (1.4%)
- Address: 129 Samsung-ro, Yeongtong-gu, Suwon, 16677, South Korea
- Phone: +188.8.131.524
- Thai Samsung Mechanical Co., Ltd.
- Samsung Medison India Pvt Ltd.
- Samsung Electronics Nigeria Ltd.
- Samsung Electro Mechanics Co. Ltd. /PLP Business/
- Samsung Strategy & Innovation Center
- Samsung SDS Asia Pacific Pte Ltd.
- S-Printing Solution Co., Ltd.
- Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. / In-Vitro Diagnostic /
- Samsung R&D Institute India - Bangalore Pvt Ltd.
- AMX Products & Solutions Pvt Ltd.
- Samsung Bussan Co., Ltd.
- Samsung Shuttle Co.
- Samsung Electronics Latinoamerica Columbia SA
- Samsung Global Strategy Group
- Mirero System Co., Ltd.
- Melaud AB
- Laos Samsung Electronics Sole Co. Ltd.
- Samsung Electronics HCMC CE Complex Co. Ltd.
- Samsung Research America, Inc.
- Samsung Accelerator
- Samsung Next LLC
- Samsung Electronics (China) R&D Center
- Shenzhen Samsung Electronics Telecommunication Co.Ltd
- Samsung Telecom Research Israel
- Samsung Electronics KZ & Central Asia LLP
- Samsung Electronics Hungarian Co. Ltd.
- Samsung Electronics Latin America Panama (Zona Libre) SA
- Samsung Electronics West Africa Ltd.
- Samsung Electronics Peru SAC
- Logitech International S.A.
- LG Display Co., Ltd
- Au Optronics Corp.
- Aptiv PLC
- Continental AG
- Panasonic Corporation
- Sharp Corporation
- Apple Inc.
- TCL Technology Group Corporation Class A
- Amazon.com, Inc.
- BOE Technology Group Co., Ltd. Class B
- Tianma Microelectronics Co., Ltd Class A
- Innolux Corp.
- Mitsubishi Corporation
- Japan Display Inc.
- Primax Electronics Ltd.
- HP Inc.
- Technicolor SA
- Canon Inc.
- Nokia Oyj
- Skyworth Group Limited
- Kinpo Electronics, Inc.
- Plantronics, Inc.
- Garmin Ltd.
- Sonos, Inc.
- Archos SA
- TCL Electronics Holdings Limited
- HTC Corporation
- Arcelik A.S.
- Sichuan Changhong Electric Co., Ltd. Class A
Copyright © 2020 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.Last Updated on 31 Mar, 2020