Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
In the news
- Samsung expands Texas chip plant in investment race with TSMC Dec 19, 2020
- Chinese tech companies topple Japan, chase US in market share Aug 12, 2020
- Huawei's mobile ambitions at risk as US calls for app boycott Aug 7, 2020
- Samsung to launch new Galaxy in bid to regain smartphone crown Aug 5, 2020
- Samsung to end Chinese PC production as costs soar Aug 4, 2020 See more articles on Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics is South Korea's largest company, with its core business semiconductors and electronic products. The company has an overwhelming presence in South Korea and exerts a strong influence over every sector. The success of its smartphone business has boosted the Samsung brand power overseas. In 2012, Samsung was ranked ninth in U.S. company Interbrand's best global brands survey. It was the highest ranking among Asian companies, overtaking Toyota Motor.
The business was founded in 1969 as part of the Samsung group, which had started out as a trading and textile company. Last year the company's owner and chairman, Lee Kun-hee, a son of the founder, collapsed from a heart attack. His son, Lee Jae-yong, who is vice chairman, took over the management of the company. As Jae-yong has no brothers, he is expected to succeed his father as chairman.
Samsung group's structure is complicated, with its companies holding each other's shares. The largest shareholder of Samsung Electronics is Samsung Life Insurance, but Cheil Industries, the top shareholder of Samsung Life Insurance, is considered to be the de facto holding company of the group. As of the end of 2014, Vice Chairman Lee Jae-yong owned 23.23% of Cheil Industries, indicating a generational shift has fairly progressed in terms of ownership.
While the semiconductor business continues to generate high profits, the smartphone operation, which has been behind the company's rapid growth over the past several years, fares poorly these days. The company still makes high profits as a manufacturer, but needs to explore new businesses to get its growth back on track.
|Income before tax||35,838.58B||30,374.57M|
|Dividends Per Share||1,416||1.20|
|Operating cash flow||65,287.00B||55,333.23M|
|Currency in KRW||Currency in USD|
|Dec 2016||Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019||Dec 2020|
|Income before tax||30,713.65B||56,195.96B||61,159.95B||30,019.22B||35,838.58B|
|Dividends Per Share||570||850||1,416||1,416||1,416|
|Operating cash flow||47,385.64B||62,162.04B||67,031.86B||45,382.91B||65,287.00B|
|Dec 2016||Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019||Dec 2020|
|Income before tax||26,472.95M||49,708.49M||55,573.78M||25,741.41M||30,374.57M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.49||0.75||1.28||1.21||1.20|
|Operating cash flow||40,843.01M||54,985.82M||60,909.37M||38,915.73M||55,333.23M|
- President, Co-CEO & Director: Kinam Kim
- Co-President, Co-CEO & Director: Hyun-Suk Kim
- Co-President, Co-CEO & Director: Dongjin Koh
- Co-President & Head-Research & Development: Tae Moon Roh
- Chief Financial Officer: Hee-Chan Roh
- National Pension Service of Korea (9.6%)
- Samsung Life Insurance Co., Ltd. (8.5%)
- Samsung C&T Corp. (5.0%)
- HONG RA HEE (2.2%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc. (1.8%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors (1.7%)
- LEE JAE-YONG /SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS/ (1.6%)
- Samsung Fire & Marine Insurance Co., Ltd. (1.4%)
- Norges Bank Investment Management (1.4%)
- Fidelity Management & Research Co. LLC (1.3%)
- Address: 129 Samsung-ro, Yeongtong-gu, Suwon, 16677, South Korea
- Phone: +184.108.40.2064
- Harman Singapore Pte Ltd.
- Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. /Subsidiaries 2/
- Samsung Electronics Singapore Pte Ltd.
- Samsung Electronics RUS Co.
- Samsung Hungary Ltd.
- Samsung Brake Corp.
- Thai Samsung Mechanical Co., Ltd.
- Samsung Medison India Pvt Ltd.
- Samsung Electronics Nigeria Ltd.
- Samyang Japan Co., Ltd.
- Samsung (CHINA) Investment Co. Ltd. Beijing Branch
- Samsung Electro Mechanics Co. Ltd. /PLP Business/
- Samsung Strategy & Innovation Center
- Samsung SDS Asia Pacific Pte Ltd.
- S-Printing Solution Co., Ltd.
- Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. / In-Vitro Diagnostic /
- Samsung R&D Institute India - Bangalore Pvt Ltd.
- AMX Products & Solutions Pvt Ltd.
- Samsung Bussan Co., Ltd.
- Samsung Shuttle Co.
- Samsung Electronics Latinoamerica Columbia SA
- Samsung Global Strategy Group
- Mirero System Co., Ltd.
- Melaud AB
- Laos Samsung Electronics Sole Co. Ltd.
- Samsung Electronics HCMC CE Complex Co. Ltd.
- Samsung Research America, Inc.
- Samsung Accelerator
- Samsung Next LLC
- Logitech International S.A.
- Aptiv PLC
- Visteon Corporation
- Panasonic Corporation
- Yamaha Corporation
- Apple Inc.
- Alps Alpine Co., Ltd.
- Amazon.com, Inc.
- Continental AG
- Mitsubishi Corporation
- Primax Electronics Ltd.
- HP Inc.
- Nokia Oyj
- Canon Inc.
- Dreamus Company
- Skyworth Group Limited
- HF Co. SA
- Kinpo Electronics, Inc.
- Sonos, Inc.
- Archos SA
- Panasonic Manufacturing Philippines Corporation
- Coretronic Corporation
- Garmin Ltd.
- TCL Electronics Holdings Limited
- ClearOne, Inc.
- Arcelik A.S.
- Koss Corporation
- Bigben Interactive SA
- Guillemot Corp. SA
- Inseego Corp.
Copyright © 2021 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.Last Updated on 30 Jul, 2021
Nikkei Asian Review, now known as Nikkei Asia, will be the voice of the Asian Century.