Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
In the news
- Samsung expands Texas chip plant in investment race with TSMC Dec 19, 2020
- Chinese tech companies topple Japan, chase US in market share Aug 12, 2020
- Huawei's mobile ambitions at risk as US calls for app boycott Aug 7, 2020
- Samsung to launch new Galaxy in bid to regain smartphone crown Aug 5, 2020
- Samsung to end Chinese PC production as costs soar Aug 4, 2020 See more articles on Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics is South Korea's largest company, with its core business semiconductors and electronic products. The company has an overwhelming presence in South Korea and exerts a strong influence over every sector. The success of its smartphone business has boosted the Samsung brand power overseas. In 2012, Samsung was ranked ninth in U.S. company Interbrand's best global brands survey. It was the highest ranking among Asian companies, overtaking Toyota Motor.
The business was founded in 1969 as part of the Samsung group, which had started out as a trading and textile company. Last year the company's owner and chairman, Lee Kun-hee, a son of the founder, collapsed from a heart attack. His son, Lee Jae-yong, who is vice chairman, took over the management of the company. As Jae-yong has no brothers, he is expected to succeed his father as chairman.
Samsung group's structure is complicated, with its companies holding each other's shares. The largest shareholder of Samsung Electronics is Samsung Life Insurance, but Cheil Industries, the top shareholder of Samsung Life Insurance, is considered to be the de facto holding company of the group. As of the end of 2014, Vice Chairman Lee Jae-yong owned 23.23% of Cheil Industries, indicating a generational shift has fairly progressed in terms of ownership.
While the semiconductor business continues to generate high profits, the smartphone operation, which has been behind the company's rapid growth over the past several years, fares poorly these days. The company still makes high profits as a manufacturer, but needs to explore new businesses to get its growth back on track.
|Income before tax||52,622.21B||45,951.87M|
|Dividends Per Share||1,444||1.26|
|Operating cash flow||65,105.44B||56,852.74M|
|Currency in KRW||Currency in USD|
|Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019||Dec 2020||Dec 2021|
|Income before tax||56,195.96B||61,159.95B||30,019.22B||35,838.58B||52,622.21B|
|Dividends Per Share||850||1,416||1,416||1,416||1,444|
|Operating cash flow||62,162.04B||67,031.86B||45,382.91B||65,287.00B||65,105.44B|
|Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019||Dec 2020||Dec 2021|
|Income before tax||49,708.49M||55,573.78M||25,741.41M||30,374.57M||45,951.87M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.75||1.28||1.21||1.20||1.26|
|Operating cash flow||54,985.82M||60,909.37M||38,915.73M||55,333.23M||56,852.74M|
- Vice Chairman & Co-Chief Executive Officer: Jong-Hee Han
- Co-Chief Executive Officer & Executive Director: Kye Hyun Kyung
- Chief Financial Officer: Hee-Chan Roh
- Executive Director & Head-Compliance Team: Sang-Ju Lee
- Head-Compliance Management: Sang-Gyun Kim
- Samsung Life Insurance Co., Ltd. (8.5%)
- National Pension Service of Korea (7.6%)
- Samsung C&T Corp. (5.0%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc. (2.0%)
- HONG RA HEE (1.9%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors (1.7%)
- LEE JAE-YONG /SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS/ (1.6%)
- Samsung Fire & Marine Insurance Co., Ltd. (1.4%)
- Norges Bank Investment Management (1.4%)
- Fidelity Management & Research Co. LLC (1.0%)
- Address: 129 Samsung-ro, Yeongtong-gu, Suwon, 16677, South Korea
- Phone: +184.108.40.2064
- GF-System Co., Ltd.
- Dowooinssys Co., Ltd.
- Samsung Electronics Service Customer Satisfaction Co., Ltd.
- Samsung Electronics Latinoamerica (Zona Libre) SA
- SNB Technologies, Inc. Mexico SA de CV
- Samsung SemiConductor Xian Co., Ltd.
- Samsung R&D Institute Rus LLC
- Samsung Electronics Rus Kaluga LLC
- Samsung Electronics Ltd.
- China Materialia New Materials 2016 LP
- Samsung Electronics Panama SA
- Samsung Electronics Venezuela CA
- Samsung R&D Institute Japan Co., Ltd.
- Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. /Subsidiaries 2/
- Samsung Electronics Singapore Pte Ltd.
- SigMast Communications, Inc.
- Samsung Electronics Rus Co. LLC
- Samsung HVAC America LLC
- Samsung Hungary Ltd.
- Samsung Brake Corp.
- Harman International Korea, Inc.
- Thai Samsung Mechanical Co., Ltd.
- Samsung Medison India Pvt Ltd.
- Samsung Electronics Nigeria Ltd.
- Samyang Japan Co., Ltd.
- Samsung (CHINA) Investment Co. Ltd. Beijing Branch
- Samsung Semiconductor (China) R&D Co., Ltd.
- Samsung Electro Mechanics Co. Ltd. /PLP Business/
- Beijing Integrated Circuit Industry International Fund LP
- Samsung Strategy & Innovation Center
- Logitech International S.A.
- Aptiv PLC
- Panasonic Holdings Corporation
- Yamaha Corporation
- Apple Inc.
- Alps Alpine Co., Ltd.
- Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
- Amazon.com, Inc.
- Continental AG
- Mitsubishi Corporation
- Primax Electronics Ltd.
- Nokia Oyj
- HP Inc.
- Canon Inc.
- Dreamus Company
- TCL Electronics Holdings Limited
- HF Co. SA
- Skyworth Group Limited
- Kinpo Electronics, Inc.
- Sonos, Inc.
- Archos SA
- Panasonic Manufacturing Philippines Corporation
- Garmin Ltd.
- ClearOne, Inc.
- Coretronic Corporation
- Bigben Interactive SA
- United Microelectronics Corp.
- Guillemot Corp. SA
- Koss Corporation
- Inseego Corp.
Copyright © 2022 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.Last Updated on 2 Dec, 2022
Discover the all new Nikkei Asia app
- Take your reading anywhere with offline reading functions
- Never miss a story with breaking news alerts
- Customize your reading experience
Nikkei Asian Review, now known as Nikkei Asia, will be the voice of the Asian Century.