Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
In the news
- Lenovo brings 'foldable' PC into post-pandemic working world Jul 14, 2020
- South Korea drugmakers seek to scale next coronavirus mountain Jul 13, 2020
- Cathay bailout vote, Nissan Ariya EV launch, TSMC results Jul 12, 2020
- Japanese companies fight for share of EUV chip technology sector Jul 12, 2020
- Apple opts for OLED screens for entire 5G iPhone range Jul 7, 2020 See more articles on Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics is South Korea's largest company, with its core business semiconductors and electronic products. The company has an overwhelming presence in South Korea and exerts a strong influence over every sector. The success of its smartphone business has boosted the Samsung brand power overseas. In 2012, Samsung was ranked ninth in U.S. company Interbrand's best global brands survey. It was the highest ranking among Asian companies, overtaking Toyota Motor.
The business was founded in 1969 as part of the Samsung group, which had started out as a trading and textile company. Last year the company's owner and chairman, Lee Kun-hee, a son of the founder, collapsed from a heart attack. His son, Lee Jae-yong, who is vice chairman, took over the management of the company. As Jae-yong has no brothers, he is expected to succeed his father as chairman.
Samsung group's structure is complicated, with its companies holding each other's shares. The largest shareholder of Samsung Electronics is Samsung Life Insurance, but Cheil Industries, the top shareholder of Samsung Life Insurance, is considered to be the de facto holding company of the group. As of the end of 2014, Vice Chairman Lee Jae-yong owned 23.23% of Cheil Industries, indicating a generational shift has fairly progressed in terms of ownership.
While the semiconductor business continues to generate high profits, the smartphone operation, which has been behind the company's rapid growth over the past several years, fares poorly these days. The company still makes high profits as a manufacturer, but needs to explore new businesses to get its growth back on track.
|Income before tax||30,019.22B||25,741.41M|
|Dividends Per Share||1,416||1.21|
|Operating cash flow||45,382.91B||38,915.73M|
|Currency in KRW||Currency in USD|
|Dec 2015||Dec 2016||Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019|
|Income before tax||25,960.99B||30,713.65B||56,195.96B||61,159.95B||30,019.22B|
|Dividends Per Share||420||570||850||1,416||1,416|
|Operating cash flow||40,061.76B||47,385.64B||62,162.04B||67,031.86B||45,382.91B|
|Dec 2015||Dec 2016||Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019|
|Income before tax||22,937.72M||26,472.95M||49,708.49M||55,573.78M||25,741.41M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.37||0.49||0.75||1.28||1.21|
|Operating cash flow||35,396.39M||40,843.01M||54,985.82M||60,909.37M||38,915.73M|
- President, Co-CEO & Director: Kinam Kim
- Co-President, Co-CEO & Director: Hyun-Suk Kim
- Co-President, Co-CEO & Director: Dongjin Koh
- Co-President & Head-Research & Development: Tae Moon Roh
- Chief Financial Officer: Hee-Chan Roh
- National Pension Service of Korea (11.1%)
- Samsung Life Insurance Co., Ltd. (8.5%)
- Samsung C&T Corp. (5.0%)
- LEE KUN HEE (4.1%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc. (2.1%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors (1.5%)
- Samsung Fire & Marine Insurance Co., Ltd. (1.4%)
- Norges Bank Investment Management (1.4%)
- Capital Research & Management Co. (World Investors) (1.3%)
- Samsung Asset Management Co., Ltd. (1.2%)
- Address: 129 Samsung-ro, Yeongtong-gu, Suwon, 16677, South Korea
- Phone: +18.104.22.1684
- Samsung Hungary Ltd.
- Samsung Brake Corp.
- Thai Samsung Mechanical Co., Ltd.
- Samsung Medison India Pvt Ltd.
- Samsung Electronics Nigeria Ltd.
- Samyang Japan Co., Ltd.
- Samsung China Investment Co. Ltd. Beijing Branch
- Samsung Electro Mechanics Co. Ltd. /PLP Business/
- Samsung Strategy & Innovation Center
- Samsung SDS Asia Pacific Pte Ltd.
- S-Printing Solution Co., Ltd.
- Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. / In-Vitro Diagnostic /
- Samsung R&D Institute India - Bangalore Pvt Ltd.
- AMX Products & Solutions Pvt Ltd.
- Samsung Bussan Co., Ltd.
- Samsung Shuttle Co.
- Samsung Electronics Latinoamerica Columbia SA
- Samsung Global Strategy Group
- Mirero System Co., Ltd.
- Melaud AB
- Laos Samsung Electronics Sole Co. Ltd.
- Samsung Electronics HCMC CE Complex Co. Ltd.
- Samsung Research America, Inc.
- Samsung Accelerator
- Samsung Next LLC
- Samsung Electronics (China) R&D Center
- Shenzhen Samsung Electronics Telecommunication Co.Ltd
- Samsung Telecom Research Israel
- Samsung Electronics KZ & Central Asia LLP
- Logitech International S.A.
- Aptiv PLC
- Panasonic Corporation
- Yamaha Corporation
- Apple Inc.
- Alps Alpine Co., Ltd.
- Amazon.com, Inc.
- Continental AG
- Mitsubishi Corporation
- Primax Electronics Ltd.
- Technicolor SA
- HP Inc.
- Canon Inc.
- Nokia Oyj
- Skyworth Group Limited
- Kinpo Electronics, Inc.
- Garmin Ltd.
- Sonos, Inc.
- Archos SA
- TCL Electronics Holdings Limited
- Arcelik A.S.
- Bigben Interactive SA
- Guillemot Corp. SA
- Inseego Corp.
- Dolby Laboratories, Inc. Class A
- Huami Corporation Sponsored ADR Class A
- ClearOne, Inc.
- Micron Technology, Inc.
- LG Display Co., Ltd
- Kopin Corporation
Copyright © 2020 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.Last Updated on 14 Jul, 2020