Shinhan Financial Group Co., Ltd.
In the news
- Coronavirus and baseball collide in Japan, Taiwan and South Korea Apr 10, 2020
- Japan-South Korea bank tie-up to help small businesses reach Asia Jul 10, 2019
- South Korean banks race into Vietnam, drawn by deregulation Nov 26, 2018
- Top three South Korean banking groups post robust 3Q profits Oct 30, 2017
- Nikkei Asia300 Index little changed as Fed, North Korea fears weigh on sentiment Sep 27, 2017 See more articles on Shinhan Financial Group Co., Ltd.
Shinhan Financial Group is a South Korean financial holding company engaged in the management of subsidiaries, including commercial banking unit Shinhan Bank, regional bank Jeju Bank, credit card company Shinhan Card, securities unit Shinhan Investment and Shinhan Life Insurance. Shinhan Financial, one of the country's four biggest financial groups, has a capital and business tie-up with French bank BNP Paribas, a major shareholder of the Korean group.
Shinhan Bank was founded in 1982 with capital from Korean residents in Japan. In 2001, it formed a holding company, Shinhan Financial Group. The group has expanded by acquiring Chohung Bank; LG Card, the predecessor of Shinhan Card; and other financial entities. It now has total assets of over 300 trillion won on a consolidated basis.
In 2001, Shinhan Financial signed a comprehensive partnership agreement with BNP Paribas, under which the two companies set up a joint venture on asset management in South Korea. The group is also strengthening its overseas presence, bolstering its operating bases in Japan, the U.S. and European countries as well as in China, Vietnam and Kazakhstan -- regions in which South Korean companies are operating.
Shinhan Financial has had the largest market capitalization among South Korean financial holding companies for many years and has a reputation as a financially healthy company with solid growth potential. Although South Korea's banking industry is often affected by government policy, it is widely believed that the group's management remains relatively immune from such influence.
|Income before tax||5,130.56B||4,480.22M|
|Dividends Per Share||1,960||1.71|
|Operating cash flow||-4,203.92B||-3,671.04M|
|Currency in KRW||Currency in USD|
|Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019||Dec 2020||Dec 2021|
|Income before tax||3,797.60B||4,466.61B||4,858.22B||4,594.33B||5,130.56B|
|Dividends Per Share||1,450||1,600||1,850||1,500||1,960|
|Operating cash flow||10,976.67B||1,366.82B||10,887.33B||7,132.12B||-4,203.92B|
|Dec 2017||Dec 2018||Dec 2019||Dec 2020||Dec 2021|
|Income before tax||3,359.19M||4,058.64M||4,165.91M||3,893.87M||4,480.22M|
|Dividends Per Share||1.28||1.45||1.58||1.27||1.71|
|Operating cash flow||9,709.48M||1,241.98M||9,335.86M||6,044.74M||-3,671.04M|
- Chief Executive Officer & Director: Yong-Byoung Cho
- Chief Operating Officer & Deputy President: In-Kyoon Lee
- Chief Financial Officer: TaeKyung Lee
- Managing Director & Chief Compliance Officer: Ho-Min Wang
- MD, Chief Strategy & Sustainability Officer: Park Sung-Hyun
- National Pension Service of Korea (8.3%)
- Shinhan Financial Group Co., Ltd. ESOA (4.9%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc. (2.4%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors (2.3%)
- Norges Bank Investment Management (2.0%)
- Samsung Asset Management Co., Ltd. (0.9%)
- BlackRock Advisors (UK) Ltd. (0.9%)
- RBC Global Asset Management (UK) Ltd. (0.8%)
- Mirae Asset Global Investments Co., Ltd. (0.8%)
- Dimensional Fund Advisors LP (0.7%)
- Address: 20 Sejong-daero 9-gil, Jung-gu, Seoul, 04513, South Korea
- Phone: +82.2.6360.3000
- SBJ DNX Co., Ltd.
- Shinhan AI Co., Ltd.
- Synergy Shinhan Mezzanine New Tech Business Investment Ass 2
- Synergy-Shinhan Mezzanine New Technology Investment Fund
- Shinhan Card 2019-2 Asset Securitisation Specialty Co., Ltd.
- Shinhan Financial Group (Private Equity)
- Shinhan Card 2019-1 Asset Securitisation Specialty Co., Ltd.
- Shinhan Venture Investment
- Shinhan REITs Management Co. Ltd.
- Shinhan Serveone 1 Co., Ltd.
- Shinhan Future's Lab Co. Ltd.
- Shinhan Card 2017-3 Asset Securitisation Specialty Co Ltd.
- Shinhan Bank Co. Ltd. (Sydney Branch)
- Shinhan Bank Co. Ltd. (United Arab Emirates)
- Shinhan Bank India
- BNP Paribas Cardif General Insurance Co., Ltd.
- Shinhan Mortgage First International Ltd.
- Shinhan Mortgage Second International Ltd.
- Shinhan Savings Bank
- Shinhan Financial Investment Co., Ltd.
- Asia Trust Co., Ltd.
- Samsung Shinhan Frontier 8th Asset Securitization Specialty Co
- Work & Joy 2007-1 ABS Specialty Co. Ltd.
- Work & Joy 2004-1 ABS Specialty Co., Ltd.
- Shinhan Mortgate 2st Securitization Specialty LLC
- Shinhan Mortgage 1st Securitization Specialty LLC
- Shinhan Card 2008 Trust
- Shinhan 8th Securitization Specialty LLC
- Neo DWC ABS Specialty Co., Ltd.
- Neo DWC 3rd ABS Specialty
- Citigroup Inc.
- Industrial Bank Of Korea
- Standard Chartered PLC
- Kakao Corp.
- NAVER Corp.
- Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
- Samsung Securities Co., Ltd.
- KT Corporation
Copyright © 2022 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.Last Updated on 5 Oct, 2022
Discover the all new Nikkei Asia app
- Take your reading anywhere with offline reading functions
- Never miss a story with breaking news alerts
- Customize your reading experience
Nikkei Asian Review, now known as Nikkei Asia, will be the voice of the Asian Century.