Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
In the news
- Investors trawl for bargains in depressed Asian markets Apr 3, 2020
- Sun Pharma plant comes under US FDA scanner Mar 30, 2020
- Asian stocks decline as Fed, ECB steps fail to mitigate worries over pandemic Mar 14, 2020
- Indian drugmakers may suffer profit drop as coronavirus threatens China supplies Mar 4, 2020
- Sun Pharmaceutical profit slumps on weak US sales Feb 6, 2020 See more articles on Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
Sun Pharmaceutical is India's largest drugmaker. It sells mainly generic drugs, an area in which Indian companies do well, in more than 150 countries, including the U.S. It has over 20 production bases around the world and supplies more than 1,000 products. It has succeeded in expanding its business globally, given that domestic sales account for only about 30% of its group sales. It has built a solid business base especially in the U.S., generating more around 50% of sales in that market.
The company was founded in 1983 by Dilip Shanghvi, who serves as managing director. It brought online its first active pharmaceutical ingredients factory in the western Indian state of Gujarat in 1995. It has been on a growth path recently on the back of the global expansion of India's generic drug business. Shanghvi is known for his aggressive merger and acquisition strategy and has expanded his company through buyouts including overseas companies. In 2014, it bought Ranbaxy Laboratories, an Indian drugmaker, which cemented its place at the top of India's pharmaceutical industry.
Shanghvi and other founding family members and affiliate companies own more than 60% of shares in Sun Pharmaceutical. Shanghvi is one of India's richest men, and he and his family are actively investing in India.
|Income before tax||44,813.20M||601.44M|
|Dividends Per Share||10||0.13|
|Operating cash flow||91,214.60M||1,224.19M|
|Currency in INR||Currency in USD|
|Mar 2018||Mar 2019||Mar 2020||Mar 2021||Mar 2022|
|Income before tax||34,789.80M||38,102M||50,095.90M||27,993.70M||44,813.20M|
|Dividends Per Share||2||2.75||4||7.50||10|
|Operating cash flow||39,781.60M||24,425.10M||66,775.20M||62,354.80M||91,214.60M|
|Mar 2018||Mar 2019||Mar 2020||Mar 2021||Mar 2022|
|Income before tax||539.66M||544.76M||706.51M||377.09M||601.44M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.03||0.03||0.05||0.10||0.13|
|Operating cash flow||617.09M||349.21M||941.74M||839.96M||1,224.19M|
- Managing Director & Executive Director: Dilip Shantilal Shanghvi
- Executive Vice President-Global Operations: Davinder Singh
- Chief Financial Officer: C. S. Muralidharan
- SVP & Chief Information Officer: Atanu Roy
- Secretary & Compliance Officer: Anoop Deshpande
- Shanghvi Finance Pvt Ltd. (41.9%)
- SHANGHVI DILIP SHANTILAL (9.5%)
- Life Insurance Corporation of India (Investment Portfolio) (5.0%)
- ICICI Prudential Asset Management Co. Ltd. (2.8%)
- SBI Funds Management Pvt Ltd. (2.3%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc. (1.4%)
- VALIA RAKSHA SUDHIR (1.2%)
- Lakshdeep Investments & Finance Pvt Ltd. (1.1%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors (0.9%)
- Mirae Asset Investment Managers (India) Pvt Ltd. (0.9%)
- Address: CTS No. 201 B/1, Sun House, Western Express Highway, Mumbai, 400063, India
- Phone: +91.22.43244324
- 3 Skyline LLC
- Zenotech Laboratories Nigeria Ltd.
- Zenotech, Inc.
- Sun Pharmaceuticals Korea Ltd.
- Sun Pharmaceuticals France SA
- Sun Pharmaceuticals (SA) Pty Ltd.
- Sun Pharmaceuticals Holdings USA, Inc.
- Sun Pharmaceutical Peru SAC
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries SAC
- Sun Pharmaceutical (Bangladesh) Ltd.
- Sun Pharma Switzerland Ltd.
- Sun Pharma Philippines, Inc.
- Sun Pharma Holdings
- Sun Pharma Healthcare FZE
- Sun Pharma East Africa Ltd.
- Sun Laboratories FZE
- Sun Global Development FZE
- Sun Farmaceutica do Brasil Ltda.
- Softdeal Trading Co. Ltd.
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries OOO
- Kakayu Co., Ltd
- Rexcel Egypt LLC
- Realstone Multitrade Pvt Ltd.
- Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Ukraine LLC
- Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals (Pty) Ltd.
- Ranbaxy Farmaceutica Ltda.
- Ranbaxy (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
- Ranbaxy (Poland) Sp zoo
- Ranbaxy South Africa (Pty) Ltd.
- PI Real Estate Ventures LLC
- Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd.
- Novartis AG
- Pfizer Inc.
- Hikma Pharmaceuticals Plc
- Viatris, Inc.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Limited
- Aurobindo Pharma Ltd
- Lupin Limited
- Nichi-Iko Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
- SAWAI GROUP HOLDINGS Co., Ltd.
- Aspen Pharmacare Holdings Limited
- Fresenius SE & Co. KGaA
- Endo International Plc
- ANI Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Amneal Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Class A
- Eris Lifesciences Ltd
- Zentiva SA
- Perrigo Co. Plc
- Fortress Biotech, Inc.
- Aerie Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Oyster Point Pharma Inc
- DICE Therapeutics, Inc.
- Nicox SA
- MoonLake Immunotherapeutics Class A
- Journey Medical Corp.
- Zhaoke Ophthalmology Ltd.
- Curis, Inc.
- Sol-Gel Technologies Ltd.
- OKYO Pharma Limited
- Amphastar Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Copyright © 2022 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.Last Updated on 4 Oct, 2022
Discover the all new Nikkei Asia app
- Take your reading anywhere with offline reading functions
- Never miss a story with breaking news alerts
- Customize your reading experience
Nikkei Asian Review, now known as Nikkei Asia, will be the voice of the Asian Century.