Want Want China Holdings Ltd.
In the news
- Asian equities tumble as coronavirus spreads outside China Feb 24, 2020
- Hong Kong stocks tumble as virus cases spiral outside China Feb 24, 2020
- Hong Kong shares slide as virus cases outside China multiply Feb 24, 2020
- Asian stocks fall as US bill on Hong Kong threatens to derail trade talks Nov 20, 2019
- Hong Kong shares drop as US bill reignites trade concerns Nov 20, 2019 See more articles on Want Want China Holdings Ltd.
Want Want China Holdings is a Taiwanese confectionery company headquartered in Shanghai, China. It offers a wide array of products ranging from snack foods such as gummies to baby milk powder and other dairy products. It holds an about 80% share of the rice cracker market, taking advantage of technical assistance provided by the Japanese company Iwatsuka Confectionery. Want Want China was listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange in 2008.
The predecessor of Want Want China was a Taiwan-based food manufacturing factory opened in 1962 by the father of Tsai Eng-meng, Want Want China's current chairman. At the age of 19, Tsai succeeded his father in the business. When he was 24, he visited Japan to meet Iwatsuka's founder Keisaku Maki to ask for technical assistance. Want Want China started growing dramatically from 1983, when Maki agreed to provide technical support.
Rice crackers are the company's core business. Technical staff sent by Iwatsuka guide employees on how to select materials and manage facilities. Implementation of strict quality control has helped the company gain customer confidence in China, where food safety problems have often occurred.
Want Want China has more than 100 factories and over 300 sales offices throughout China. With a sales force of more than 10,000, the company has extended its marketing reach deeply into the country's interior, including the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region and Qinghai Province. It generates 80% of its total sales from regional small enterprises, such as privately owned shops.
The company is working to strengthen its dairy products division as a way to diversify its operations further. As such, it has tied up with the Japanese company Morinaga Milk Industry. While the Chinese market makes up approximately 80% of its rice cracker sales, the company will have to focus more other markets for growth.
|Income before tax||6,958.75M||893.92M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.22||0.02|
|Operating cash flow||4,856.27M||623.84M|
|Currency in HKD||Currency in USD|
|Mar 2018||Mar 2019||Mar 2020||Mar 2021||Mar 2022|
|Income before tax||5,067.77M||5,622.36M||5,668.38M||6,857.39M||6,958.75M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.14||0.23||0.23||0.16||0.22|
|Operating cash flow||6,265.04M||5,086.58M||5,436.35M||6,201.75M||4,856.27M|
|Mar 2018||Mar 2019||Mar 2020||Mar 2021||Mar 2022|
|Income before tax||648.93M||716.94M||725.17M||884.51M||893.92M|
|Dividends Per Share||0.01||0.02||0.03||0.02||0.02|
|Operating cash flow||802.25M||648.62M||695.48M||799.94M||623.84M|
- Chairman & Chief Executive Officer: Eng-Meng Tsai
- COO, Executive Director, VP-Dairy & Beverages: Wang Chia Tsai
- Chief Financial Officer & Executive Director: Chi Wen Chu
- Managing Director-Research & Development Center: Chun-Chiang Chen
- Managing Director-Information Technology Center: Hung-Hsing Ting
- TSAI ENG MENG (53.1%)
- Top Quality Group Ltd. (14.6%)
- Iwatsuka Confectionery Co., Ltd. (5.1%)
- CHENG WEN HSIEN (3.8%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc. (0.9%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors (0.9%)
- TSAI SHAO CHUNG (0.8%)
- TSAI WANG CHIA (0.8%)
- TAI WANG JUNG (0.8%)
- Allspring Global Investments LLC (0.6%)
- Address: FTLife Tower, Kowloon Bay, No. 18 Sheung Yuet Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong
- Zhong Want Holdings Ltd.
- Zhejiang Yuan-Want Trading Co., Ltd.
- Zhejiang Want Want Foods Ltd.
- Zhejiang Ru-Want Foods Ltd.
- Xinjiang Ru-Want Dairy Ltd.
- Xining Want Want Foods Ltd.
- Wellstand Singapore Pte Ltd.
- Want Want Vietnam Trading Co., Ltd.
- Want Want Vietnam Holdings Pte Ltd.
- Want Want Vietnam Co., Ltd.
- Want Want Thailand Holdings Pte Ltd.
- Want Want Philippines Holdings Pte Ltd.
- Want Want Corp.
- Shuangcheng Rimalt Foods Ltd.
- Shenyang Rice-Want Cereals & Oils Ltd.
- Shanghai Want Want Trading Ltd.
- Shanghai Want-Want Network Technology Co., Ltd.
- Shanghai Hao-Want Network Technology Co., Ltd.
- Shanghai Want Want Foods Group Co., Ltd.
- Shanghai Fuwang Culture Communication Co., Ltd.
- Shanghai Ruwang Electronic Commerce Co., Ltd.
- Shanghai Lee-Want Foods Ltd.
- Shanxi Want Want Trading Ltd.
- Ningxia Ming-Want Dairy Ltd.
- Nanjing Rimalt Foods Ltd.
- Nanjing Be-Want Foods Ltd.
- Nanjing Lion-Want Packaging Ltd.
- Ming Want Worldwide Ltd.
- Media Sense, Inc.
- Luohe Want-Want Foods Ltd.
Copyright © 2022 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.Last Updated on 3 Oct, 2022
Discover the all new Nikkei Asia app
- Take your reading anywhere with offline reading functions
- Never miss a story with breaking news alerts
- Customize your reading experience
Nikkei Asian Review, now known as Nikkei Asia, will be the voice of the Asian Century.