|Jan 22, 2018|
|Jan 22, 2018|
Currency in TWD
|Full time employees:||19,539|
United Microelectronics Corp. engages in the semiconductor foundry business. It offers complementary metal-oxide semiconductor (CMOS) logic wafers, mixed signal wafers, radio frequency complementary metal-oxide semiconductor wafers, embedded memory products, high voltage integrated circuits (ICs), and complementary metal-oxide semiconductor image sensors. The company was founded on May 22, 1980 and is headquartered in Hsinchu, Taiwan.
United Microelectronics is a Taiwanese chipmaker, with assets of around $10 billion. It sells a range of products, including CMOS wafers, memory chips and high-voltage integrated circuits. UMC has over 17,000 employees worldwide and offices in Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, China, Singapore, the U.S. and Europe.
UMC is expanding aggressively overseas. The company bought a 9%, $48 million stake in a subsidiary of Japan's Fujitsu Semiconductor, which owns a Japanese plant that makes 12-inch wafers. UMC has also set up a joint venture with China's Xiamen municipal government and state-owned Fujian Electronics and Information Group to build a semiconductor fabrication plant in Xiamen.
UMC will invest a total of $1.35 billion in the venture over five years, starting in 2015. As part of the plan, the venture purchased a 33% stake in Xiamen-based chipmaker United Semiconductor in January 2015.
UMC was founded in 1980 as Taiwan's first semiconductor company. Yen Po-wen, who joined UMC in 1986, has served as CEO since 2012. Before that, he was senior vice president in charge of 12-inch operations.
In the news
Nanya Tech says DRAM price will be stable in the first half
January 17, 2018 12:21 am JST
Rising global bond yields also damp investor appetite
January 10, 2018 9:28 pm JST
January 10, 2018 8:50 pm JST
TSMC's rival to focus on artificial intelligence for growth
January 8, 2018 11:00 am JST
Hon Hai Precision, ComfortDelGro, Hyundai Motor among key movers
December 11, 2017 9:01 pm JST
December 11, 2017 8:30 pm JST
- Local currency
- US Dollar
|Income before tax||5,036.75M|
|Dividends per share||0.5|
|Operating cash flow||46,450.49M|
Currency in TWD
|Income before tax||156.17M|
|Dividends per share||0.01|
|Operating cash flow||1,440.28M|
Currency in USD
- Co-President & Director: Shan Chieh Chien
- Co-President: Jason Wang
- Head-Finance & Head-Accounting: Chi Tung Liu
- Director & Deputy General Manager: Shi Wang
- Assistant Manager-Accounting: An Pang Huang
- Capital Research & Management Co. (Global Investors)(4.2%)
- Fidelity Management & Research Co.(4.1%)
- Hsieh Yung Investment Co. Ltd.(3.4%)
- Dimensional Fund Advisors LP(3.4%)
- Silicon Integrated Systems Corp.(2.4%)
- Capital Research & Management Co. (World Investors)(2.3%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors(2.3%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc.(1.9%)
- Norges Bank Investment Management(1.2%)
- BlackRock Advisors (UK) Ltd.(0.6%)
- Website: http://www.umc.com
- Address: No. 3, 2nd Li-Hsin Road, Hsinchu Science Park, Hsinchu, 300 78, Taiwan
- Phone: +886.3.578.2258
Copyright © 2018 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.