|Sep 22, 2017|
|Sep 22, 2017|
Currency in TWD
|Full time employees:||46,968|
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., Ltd. engages in the manufacture and sale of integrated circuits and wafer semiconductor devices. Its chips are used in personal computers and peripheral products; information applications; wired and wireless communications systems products; automotive and industrial equipment including consumer electronics such as digital video compact disc player, digital television, game consoles, and digital cameras. The company was founded by Chung Mou Chang on February 21, 1987 and is headquartered in Hsinchu, Taiwan.
Taiwan Semiconductor Mfg., better known as TSMC, is the world's largest semiconductor foundry.
It receives orders to make large-scale integrated circuits for smartphones, in addition to a variety of semiconductors for PCs and TVs.
According to U.S. research company Gartner, TSMC accounted for 53.7% of the market for semiconductor production outsourcing in 2014.
TSMC was established in 1987 at the initiative of the Taiwanese government to promote the country's semiconductor industry.
Morris Chang, the de facto founder and chairman, had served as group vice president at U.S. chipmaker Texas Instruments before taking the chairmanship at TSMC, by request of the government.
TSMC was the first in the world to specialize in semiconductor production outsourcing; it gets most of its orders from U.S. brands. In 2014, it contracted with Apple to make central processing units for the iPhone, significantly raising earnings.
The company, which also has plants in China and Singapore, faces a challenging future. In January of 2015, it sold its unprofitable light-emitting diode business. It must foster new businesses.
Chang is a charismatic corporate manager, but the market is closely watching for when the 80-something businessman retires from the managerial front line.
In the news
Small US rival asking EU to investigate key Apple supplier, report says
September 22, 2017 2:31 pm JST
Rivals have forged ahead with investment as unit sale process has dragged
September 21, 2017 9:30 am JST
Aiming to be globe's No. 2 foundry, S. Korean icon takes show to Japan
September 14, 2017 8:30 pm JST
Combined sales of 19 companies monitored by Nikkei hit $29.8bn
September 13, 2017 9:41 pm JST
Investors are relieved North Korea didn't conduct another missile test over weekend
September 11, 2017 8:51 pm JST
Officials hope to see space industry take off using entirely homegrown components
September 7, 2017 10:00 am JST
- Local currency
- US Dollar
|Income before tax||382,463.78M|
|Dividends per share||7|
|Operating cash flow||548,501.57M|
Currency in TWD
|Income before tax||11,859.04M|
|Dividends per share||0.21|
|Operating cash flow||17,007.37M|
Currency in USD
- Co-General Manager & Director: Te Yin Liu
- Co-General Manager & Director: Che Chia Wei
- Head-Finance & Accounting, Senior Deputy GM: Li Mei Ho
- Senior Vice President: Rick Cassidy
- Deputy General Manager-Operations: Meng Chao Tzeng
- National Development Fund of The Executive Yuan(6.3%)
- Capital Research & Management Co. (World Investors)(4.8%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc.(2.3%)
- Capital Research & Management Co. (Global Investors)(2.2%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors(1.9%)
- Norges Bank Investment Management(1.2%)
- OppenheimerFunds, Inc.(1.2%)
- APG Asset Management NV(0.8%)
- Deutsche Asset Management Investment GmbH(0.7%)
- Schroder Investment Management Ltd.(0.6%)
- Website: http://www.tsmc.com
- Address: No. 8 Li-Hsin 6th Road, Hsinchu Science Park, Hsinchu, 300, Taiwan
- Phone: +886.3.563.6688
Copyright © 2017 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.