|Dec 8, 2017|
|Dec 8, 2017|
Currency in INR
|Full time employees:||5,976|
Hindustan Unilever Ltd. engages in the manufacture of consumer goods. It operates through the following segments: Home Care, Personal Care, Foods, and Refreshments. The Home Care segment includes fabric wash, household care, and water. The Personal Care segment comprises of personal wash, skin care, hair care, oral care, deodorants, and colors. The Foods segment consists of packaged foods and popular foods. The Refreshments segment offers tea, coffee, ice cream, and frozen desserts. The company was founded in November 1956 and is headquartered in Mumbai, India.
Hindustan Unilever, a unit of British-Dutch company Unilever, is India's largest marketer of consumer products. The company sells more than 30 brands of soap, detergent, food and other products and employs more than 15,000 workers, including those at its local manufacturing plants.
While it was founded in 1931, the predecessor to Hindustan Unilever had ties with Unilever the date back to the 1880s when Lever Brothers, the forerunner of Unilever, was selling imported soap in India.
In the 1970s and 1980s, Unilever took over Brooke Bond, Lipton and other companies and their subsidiaries in India were consolidated into the Indian unit of Unilever. Hindustan Unilever bought a number of Indian companies, including some that were under major conglomerate Tata Group's umbrella, in the 1990s.
Hindustan Unilever is known for its Shakti project, which encourages the employment of young residents in India's rural areas as sales staff. These employees sell small batches of low-priced soap and other products in their areas. Products under the company's brands sell well in both urban and rural areas.
In 2013, Unilever raised its stake in Hindustan Unilever from a little more than 50% to just under 70%.
In the news
Demand rises as wholesalers replenish depleted inventories
November 23, 2017 4:35 pm JST
Price cut to improve consumer sentiment, boost consumption
November 22, 2017 9:23 pm JST
Watchdog body to be established to guard against profiteering
November 21, 2017 9:39 pm JST
Dining out will now also be cheaper after tax overhaul
November 15, 2017 7:16 pm JST
Second-quarter sales improve despite impact of GST rollout
November 1, 2017 10:27 pm JST
State Bank, Punjab National jump as Modi government pledges $32.4 billion capital
October 27, 2017 9:50 pm JST
October 26, 2017 8:14 pm JST
- Local currency
- US Dollar
|Income before tax||64,790M|
|Dividends per share||17|
|Operating cash flow||54,490M|
Currency in INR
|Income before tax||966.19M|
|Dividends per share||0.25|
|Operating cash flow||812.59M|
Currency in USD
- Chief Executive Officer, Executive Director & MD: Sanjiv Soshil Mehta
- CFO, Executive Director-Finance & IT: Srinivas Phatak
- Director & Secretary: Dev Bajpai
- Director & Executive Director-Supply Chain: Pradeep Banerjee
- General Manager-M&A: Ravi Shankar Ramachandran
- Unilever Plc(67.1%)
- Life Insurance Corp. of India(1.8%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc.(1.1%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors(0.9%)
- Aberdeen Asset Managers Ltd.(0.7%)
- The New India Assurance Co. Ltd. (Investment Portfolio)(0.6%)
- Aberdeen Asset Management (Asia) Ltd.(0.5%)
- General Insurance Corp. of India (Invt Port)(0.4%)
- Franklin Advisers, Inc.(0.4%)
- GIC Pte Ltd. (Investment Management)(0.3%)
- Website: http://www.hul.co.in
- Address: Unilever House, B. D. Sawant Marg, Mumbai, 400099, India
- Phone: +91.22.39832285
Copyright © 2017 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.