|Oct 17, 2017|
|Oct 17, 2017|
Currency in INR
|Full time employees:||5,976|
Hindustan Unilever Ltd. engages in the manufacture of consumer goods. It operates through the following segments: Home Care, Personal Care, Foods, and Refreshments. The Home Care segment includes fabric wash, household care, and water. The Personal Care segment comprises of personal wash, skin care, hair care, oral care, deodorants, and colors. The Foods segment consists of packaged foods and popular foods. The Refreshments segment offers tea, coffee, ice cream, and frozen desserts. The company was founded in November 1956 and is headquartered in Mumbai, India.
Hindustan Unilever, a unit of British-Dutch company Unilever, is India's largest marketer of consumer products. The company sells more than 30 brands of soap, detergent, food and other products and employs more than 15,000 workers, including those at its local manufacturing plants.
While it was founded in 1931, the predecessor to Hindustan Unilever had ties with Unilever the date back to the 1880s when Lever Brothers, the forerunner of Unilever, was selling imported soap in India.
In the 1970s and 1980s, Unilever took over Brooke Bond, Lipton and other companies and their subsidiaries in India were consolidated into the Indian unit of Unilever. Hindustan Unilever bought a number of Indian companies, including some that were under major conglomerate Tata Group's umbrella, in the 1990s.
Hindustan Unilever is known for its Shakti project, which encourages the employment of young residents in India's rural areas as sales staff. These employees sell small batches of low-priced soap and other products in their areas. Products under the company's brands sell well in both urban and rural areas.
In 2013, Unilever raised its stake in Hindustan Unilever from a little more than 50% to just under 70%.
In the news
Hindustan Unilever and Bharti Airtel lead gains
October 16, 2017 9:36 pm JST
Paul Polman says businesses must be part of society's solution
October 15, 2017 12:00 pm JST
Infosys rises on buyback approval, Lupin advances on US FDA nod
October 10, 2017 9:02 pm JST
ITC, Hindustan Unilever advance
October 9, 2017 9:54 pm JST
Consumer goods giant mulls exports to other countries
September 27, 2017 11:45 pm JST
HDFC, Hindustan Unilever among key stocks that declined
September 26, 2017 9:57 pm JST
Consumer goods giant nurturing future global brands in emerging markets
September 26, 2017 7:35 pm JST
- Local currency
- US Dollar
|Income before tax||64,790M|
|Dividends per share||17|
|Operating cash flow||54,490M|
Currency in INR
|Income before tax||966.19M|
|Dividends per share||0.25|
|Operating cash flow||812.59M|
Currency in USD
- Chief Executive Officer, Executive Director & MD: Sanjiv Soshil Mehta
- CFO, Director & Executive Director-Finance: P. B. Balaji
- Director & Secretary: Dev Bajpai
- Director & Executive Director-Supply Chain: Pradeep Banerjee
- General Manager-M&A: Ravi Shankar Ramachandran
- Unilever Plc(67.1%)
- Life Insurance Corp. of India(1.8%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc.(1.1%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors(0.9%)
- Aberdeen Asset Managers Ltd.(0.9%)
- The New India Assurance Co. Ltd. (Investment Portfolio)(0.6%)
- Aberdeen Asset Management (Asia) Ltd.(0.5%)
- General Insurance Corp. of India (Invt Port)(0.4%)
- Franklin Advisers, Inc.(0.4%)
- GIC Pte Ltd. (Investment Management)(0.3%)
- Website: http://www.hul.co.in
- Address: Unilever House, B. D. Sawant Marg, Mumbai, 400099, India
- Phone: +91.22.39832285
Copyright © 2017 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.