|Oct 18, 2017|
|Oct 18, 2017|
Currency in KRW
|Full time employees:||9,115|
Samsung SDI Co., Ltd. engages in the manufacture and sale of secondary cells and plasma display panels. The company operates in two business segments: Display segment and Energy segment. The Display segment is engaged in the manufacture of PDPs used in televisions, as well as operation of rental business. The Energy segment is engaged in the manufacture of batteries. Samsung SDI was founded on January 20, 1970 and is headquartered in Yongin, South Korea.
Samsung SDI is a South Korean electronic component maker that belongs to the Samsung Electronics group.
The world's largest supplier of lithium-ion batteries, it is locked in heavy competition with domestic and Japanese rivals in lithium-ion batteries for cell phones, cars and solar power plants.
The company was jointly established by the Samsung group and Japanese electronics maker NEC in 1970. It began as a manufacturer of picture tubes. The company has used its current name since 1999.
Samsung SDI manufactured organic light-emitting diode display panels and plasma panels by itself even after dissolving the joint venture with NEC. But it has since farmed out all display panel operations to other group companies.
The company now manufactures batteries, which account for roughly 50% of its sales, polarizing plates for liquid crystal display panels and materials for semiconductors and display panel.
It supplies most of its products to Samsung group companies.
Samsung SDI is the largest shareholder in trading house and construction company Samsung C&T. The leading shareholder in Samsung SDI is Samsung Electronics.
Market participants predict Samsung SDI will be included in the reorganization of group companies that the Samsung group is carrying out to streamline its complicated capital ties.
In the news
Need for quick delivery behind snubbing of partner Panasonic
September 30, 2017 1:33 am JST
Manufacturer using funds to upgrade factories in China, Singapore
September 1, 2017 2:22 am JST
Local media says company to exclusively supply batteries for Apple handset
July 21, 2017 9:32 pm JST
July 17, 2017 8:10 pm JST
July 17, 2017 8:09 pm JST
Regional companies come out on top in 27 of 57 major products and services
July 13, 2017 10:00 am JST
- Local currency
- US Dollar
|Income before tax||-1,065.87B|
|Dividends per share||1,000|
|Operating cash flow||-1,309.51B|
Currency in KRW
|Income before tax||-918.70M|
|Dividends per share||0.86|
|Operating cash flow||-1,128.71M|
Currency in USD
- President, Chief Executive Officer & Director: Young-Hyun Jun
- Chief Financial Officer & Director: Hong Gyeong Kim
- Executive Director & Head-Production Technology: Gwang-Il Kim
- Director & Vice President: Chang-Ryong Song
- Director & Vice President: Se-Woong Jeong
- Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.(19.5%)
- National Pension Service of Korea(9.1%)
- Samsung SDI Co., Ltd.(4.8%)
- Korea Investment Management Co., Ltd.(3.7%)
- Newton Investment Management Ltd.(3.0%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc.(1.7%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors(1.7%)
- Samsung Asset Management Co., Ltd.(1.4%)
- Fidelity Management & Research Co.(1.3%)
- Capital Research & Management Co. (World Investors)(1.2%)
- Website: http://www.samsungsdi.com
- Address: 150-20 Gongse-ro, Giheung-gu, Yongin, 17084, South Korea
- Phone: +82.31.8006.3100
Copyright © 2017 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.