|Aug 18, 2017|
|Aug 18, 2017|
Currency in HKD
Computer Processing Hardware
|Full time employees:||52,000|
Lenovo Group Ltd. is an investment holding company, which engages in the developing, manufacturing, and marketing technology products and services. Its products include personal computers, workstations, servers, storage, smart televisions, and mobile products such as smartphones, tablets, and applications. The company was founded in 1984 and is headquartered in Hong Kong.
Lenovo Group of China is the world's largest maker of personal computers. The company has recently been expanding its business in the peripheral fields, such as smartphones, tablet computers and enterprise servers, focusing on its so-called PC Plus strategy to diversify its product portfolio. The company is also stepping up efforts to develop wearable gadgets, aiming to become an all-around manufacturer in the information technology field.
Founded by Liu Chuanzhi and his colleagues, Lenovo began as a PC sales unit in 1984, when Liu was a researcher at the state-run Chinese Academy of Sciences. In the 1990s, the company started selling PCs under its own brand, building up sales by offering prices lower than those of its rivals. By the late 1990s, it had claimed the top share of the domestic PC market.
Lenovo made big strides in the global market after acquiring the PC business of U.S. technology powerhouse IBM in 2005. The company has rapidly expanded its overseas sales, helped by the global popularity of the ThinkPad brand, originally developed by IBM.
Lenovo is also known for aggressively pursuing mergers and acquisitions. In 2011, it merged its PC operations with those of Japanese IT solutions provider NEC, launching a PC joint venture in Japan. In 2014, the Chinese company bought the Motorola's smartphone business from U.S. search giant Google.
Chinese investment company Legend Holdings, which Liu heads, holds slightly more than 30% of Lenovo's outstanding shares. Lenovo is also known for its close ties with the Chinese government, a relationship that has been a source of Internet security concerns in the U.S. and Europe. Ensuring management transparency is seen as a main challenge facing the company as it grows.
In the news
August 18, 2017 8:33 pm JST
August 18, 2017 8:32 pm JST
August 18, 2017 8:26 pm JST
August 18, 2017 8:14 pm JST
August 18, 2017 8:05 pm JST
Rising component and sales costs squeeze China PC maker's margins
August 18, 2017 3:49 pm JST
August 18, 2017 3:30 pm JST
- Local currency
- US Dollar
|Income before tax||3,635.20M|
|Dividends per share||0.26|
|Operating cash flow||16,963.36M|
Currency in HKD
|Income before tax||468.51M|
|Dividends per share||0.03|
|Operating cash flow||2,186.29M|
Currency in USD
- Chairman & Chief Executive Officer: Yuan Qing Yang
- President & Chief Operating Officer: Gianfranco Lanci
- Chief Financial Officer & Executive Vice President: Wai Ming Wong
- Chief Information Officer & Senior Vice President: Qingtong Zhou
- Chief Information Officer: Arthur Hu
- Legend Holdings Corp.(31.4%)
- YANG YUAN QING(6.3%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc.(2.0%)
- BlackRock Advisors LLC(1.5%)
- BlackRock Investment Management LLC(1.4%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors(1.1%)
- Matthews International Capital Management LLC(1.1%)
- JF Asset Management Ltd.(0.9%)
- Hang Seng Investment Management Ltd.(0.7%)
- DNB Asset Management AS(0.7%)
- Website: http://www.lenovo.com
- Address: 23rd Floor, Lincoln House, Taikoo Place, 979 King's Road, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Phone: +852.2590.0228
Copyright © 2017 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.