|Jan 22, 2018|
|Jan 22, 2018|
Currency in KRW
|Full time employees:||4,102|
KT&G Corp. engages in the manufacture and sale of tobacco products. It operates through the Tabacoo and Real Estate Business Divisions. The Tobacco Division manufactures and distributes raw materials needed in production of tobacco. The Real Estates division offers rentals, sales, and housing development. The company was founded on April 1, 1987 and is headquartered in Daejeon, South Korea.
KT&G was founded as Korea Monopoly by the South Korean government in 1987. It was later privatized and listed on the South Korean stock market in 1999. It took its current name in 2002. The ginseng business was spun off to form a wholly owned subsidiary, Korea Ginseng.
Because KT&G produces tobacco and ginseng, one might expect the company name to stand for Korea Tobacco & Ginseng; however, it officially stands for Korea Tomorrow & Global.
KT&G no longer gets direct investment from the government; instead, government-affiliated small and midsize banks and national pension funds own stakes in it. It is known in South Korea as a company in which foreign investors have sizable interests.
The bulk of the company's earnings come from its tobacco business, which sells brands such as Esse, Bohem, This and Pine. The South Korean cigarette market has been contracting over the medium term as a smoking ban has been expanded both indoors and outdoors due to health concerns, and prices were raised sharply in 2015.
Sales abroad, on the other hand, are on the rise. The company is boosting exports and producing tobacco in Indonesia, Turkey, Russia and Iran.
KT&G also sells ginseng-based health food and beverages. Ginseng is commonly used as an ingredient for pharmaceuticals.
In the news
IQOS gets an even warmer reception than in Japan
October 21, 2017 10:42 am JST
Government targets 129 big companies, triggering profit concerns
August 3, 2017 2:03 pm JST
CEO Andre Calantzopoulos looks to a future beyond conventional cigarettes
July 27, 2017 10:00 am JST
Interest in smoke-free device can set stage for phasing out cigarettes
July 12, 2017 4:54 pm JST
June 15, 2017 10:00 am JST
IQOS device embraced in Japan may challenge KT&G
May 17, 2017 11:45 am JST
- Local currency
- US Dollar
|Income before tax||1,585.76B|
|Dividends per share||3,600|
|Operating cash flow||1,547.34B|
Currency in KRW
|Income before tax||1,366.81M|
|Dividends per share||3.10|
|Operating cash flow||1,333.70M|
Currency in USD
- President, Chief Executive Officer & Director: Bok-In Baek
- Managing Director & Head-Finance: Gyeong-Bo Kang
- Managing Director, Head-Research & Development: Chang-Hyo Lee
- Director & Vice President: Heung-Ryeol Kim
- Vice President & Head-Sales: Hyeon-Jin Kim
- National Pension Service of Korea(9.0%)
- KT&G Corp.(8.0%)
- Industrial Bank of Korea(6.9%)
- First Eagle Investment Management LLC(4.9%)
- Deutsche Asset Management Investment GmbH(3.1%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors(2.1%)
- KT&G Corp. Employee Stock Ownership Association(2.1%)
- Japan Tobacco Inc.(2.0%)
- Thornburg Investment Management, Inc.(2.0%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc.(1.9%)
- Website: http://www.ktng.com
- Address: 71 Beotkkot-gil, Daedeok-gu, Daejeon, 34337, South Korea
- Phone: +82.42.939.5000
Copyright © 2018 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.