|Oct 18, 2017|
|Oct 18, 2017|
Currency in KRW
|Full time employees:||1,976|
ORION Holdings engages in the manufacture and sale of confectionery products. It operates through the following businesses: Confectionery, Entertainment and Sports. The Confectionery business offers products such as pies, snacks, biscuits, candies, jellies, gums, chocolates through its brand names of Market O and Dr. You. The Entertainment business produces, invests and distributes films. The Sports business supports sports development by using public funds raised through the Korean lottery, Sports ToTo. The company was founded by Lee Yang-Gu on July 25, 1956 and is headquartered in Seoul, South Korea.
Orion is one of South Korea's largest confectioners, alongside Lotte Confectionery. It sells more overseas than it does in its home market. Best known for its Choco Pie cakes and Pokachip potato chips, the company has diversified its product line in recent years.
Founded as the Tong Yang Confectionery in 1956, the company expanded through acquisitions. Its success was built on the Orion Choco Pie, introduced in 1974. The hit product brought a surge in sales and domestic market share, and in 2003 the company changed its name to capitalize on the strength of its pies.
Among its four key products -- pies, savory snacks, jelly snacks and cookies -- savory snacks and cookies have grown in importance in recent years. The company has expanded into China, Vietnam and Russia and has factories in all three countries. Orion's overseas sales now exceed 1 trillion won annually.
In addition to its snacks business, Orion has operations in entertainment and lotteries, but the company will withdraw from the lottery business this year to focus on confectioneries.
In July, Orion signed a memorandum of understanding with the Everland theme park in Yongin, Gyeonggi Province, on the outskirts of Seoul. The two will jointly market and operate the attraction, which is based on the concept of a fairy tale candy house.
In the news
Region fears Marawi siege may be prelude to greater terrorist threat
July 6, 2017 10:56 am JST
June 15, 2017 10:00 am JST
Many in US feel 21st-century science only makes life more difficult
May 30, 2017 12:00 pm JST
May 29, 2017 7:54 pm JST
November 25, 2016 9:30 am JST
October 20, 2016 12:00 pm JST
September 29, 2016 12:00 pm JST
- Local currency
- US Dollar
|Income before tax||305,783.48M|
|Dividends per share||1,754.21|
|Operating cash flow||338,867.93M|
Currency in KRW
|Income before tax||263.56M|
|Dividends per share||1.51|
|Operating cash flow||292.07M|
Currency in USD
- President, Chief Executive Officer & Director: Kyung-Jae Lee
- Executive Director & Head-Finance: Seong-Gyu Park
- Executive Director & Head-Research Institute: Seung-Joon Lee
- Director, Vice President & Head-Production: Kyu-Hong Lee
- Vice Chairman-Executive Board: Hwa-Kyung Lee
- LEE HWA-KYUNG(14.5%)
- TAM CHEOL-GON(12.8%)
- ORION Holdings (Korea)(12.0%)
- National Pension Service of Korea(5.9%)
- GIC Pte Ltd. (Investment Management)(5.4%)
- Matthews International Capital Management LLC(3.9%)
- Government of Singapore(3.8%)
- Westwood Global Investments LLC(3.8%)
- Arisaig Partners (Asia) Pte Ltd.(2.2%)
- Mirae Asset Global Investments Co., Ltd.(1.4%)
- Website: http://www.oriongroup.co.kr
- Address: 13 Baekbeom-ro 90da-gil, Yongsan-gu, Seoul, 04369, South Korea
- Phone: +82.2.710.6000
Copyright © 2017 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.