|Aug 22, 2017|
|Aug 22, 2017|
Currency in INR
|Full time employees:||67,902|
Tata Steel Ltd. is a holding company, which engages in the manufacture and marketing of steel and allied products. It produces and sells agricultural equipment, bearings, construction, flat, and long products. The company operates through the following segments: Steel, Ferro Alloys and Minerals, and Others. Tata Steel was founded by Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata on August 26, 1907 and is headquartered in Mumbai, India.
Tata Steel is India's largest private-sector steelmaker and was the first to operate a modern blast furnace in the country. Tata Steel is the brainchild of Jamsetji Tata, the late founder of Tata group.
Impressed by a Scottish historian's remark that "the nation which gains control of iron soon acquires the control of gold," Tata set up an iron and steel company in 1907. Jamshedpur, an industrial city in eastern India that is home to Tata Steel's largest plant, came to be named after Jamsetji and became a company town. After India gained its independence in 1947, the government gave preferential treatment to state-owned steelmakers. Even so, Tata Steel has remained one of India's most powerful steel companies.
Tata Sons, the holding company of Tata group, and the group companies own a 30% stake in Tata Steel, with Tata group Chairman Cyrus Mistry also serving as chairman of the steelmaker.
Tata Steel made headlines around the world when it bought Anglo-Dutch steel company Corus in 2007, creating a new global steel giant. As Tata Steel expands its global reach, it has established a foothold in Southeast Asia and elsewhere. The Indian company has a tie-up with Japan's Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal, operating a joint venture in India to make steel sheet for the automotive industry.
In the news
August 22, 2017 9:53 pm JST
August 8, 2017 9:18 pm JST
August 8, 2017 8:18 pm JST
August 8, 2017 8:06 pm JST
August 7, 2017 10:16 pm JST
August 7, 2017 9:27 pm JST
- Local currency
- US Dollar
|Income before tax||24,736.3M|
|Dividends per share||10|
|Operating cash flow||63,411.6M|
Currency in INR
|Income before tax||368.88M|
|Dividends per share||0.14|
|Operating cash flow||945.63M|
Currency in USD
- Chief Financial Officer & Group Executive Director: Koushik Chatterjee
- Chief-Group Information Services: Shreekant Mokashi
- Chief Technical Officer-Flat Products: Vinay V. Mahashabde
- Chief Technology Officer-Process: Ashok Kumar
- Chief-Legal & Compliance: Meena Lall
- Tata Sons Ltd.(30.0%)
- HDFC Asset Management Co. Ltd.(4.2%)
- ICICI Prudential Asset Management Co. Ltd.(3.1%)
- Reliance Nippon Life Asset Management Ltd.(2.4%)
- Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (Investment Management)(1.0%)
- Dimensional Fund Advisors LP(1.0%)
- DSP BlackRock Investment Managers Pvt Ltd.(1.0%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors(0.9%)
- SBI Funds Management Pvt Ltd.(0.9%)
- National Insurance Co. Ltd.(0.9%)
- Website: http://www.tatasteel.com
- Address: Bombay House, 24, Homi Mody Street, Mumbai, 400001, India
- Phone: +91.22.66658282
Copyright © 2017 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.