Grab to 'execute on big partnerships' in 2019 expansion: CEO

Anthony Tan says 2018 revenue doubled and some businesses already profitable

20190220 Grab CEO Tan interview

Grab CEO Anthony Tan speaks to the Nikkei Asian Review in Singapore on Feb. 20. (Photo by Kosaku Mimura)

KENTARO IWAMOTO, Nikkei staff writer

SINGAPORE -- Southeast Asia's largest ride-hailing app, Grab, plans to expand into businesses ranging from health care to insurance to video content this year, capitalizing on the partnerships it has forged and the money it has raised recently, according to the company's chief executive.

In an interview with the Nikkei Asian Review on Feb. 20, Anthony Tan, Grab's CEO and founder, said the company's plan for 2019 is "to take the big partnerships and execute very well on these big partnerships." Last year, it focused on building ties with regional and global companies, including Toyota Motor, Microsoft and Chinese online health care provider Ping An Good Doctor, raising a total of $3 billion.

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored ContentThis content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.