August 9, 2017 2:21 am JST
Exclusive

SMFG, Yahoo Japan forming big data fintech venture

Unit will crunch bank's customer data to generate more business

TOKYO -- Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group and Yahoo Japan are forming a joint venture to sift through the Japanese megabank's rich troves of customer data for ideas on improving and expanding services.

The 300 million yen ($2.71 million) unit will be established as early as September. Yahoo Japan will hold a 51% stake and SMFG the other 49%.

Japanese bank holding companies are generally barred from owning more than 15% of nonfinancial companies, but a law in force since April allows for bigger stakes in financial technology firms.

SMFG, which has collected some 40 million pieces of customer information including details on ownership of stocks and other assets, will keep that data within its group while crunching it with Yahoo Japan's analysis tools to look for patterns. Parsing savings and payment data on customers who eventually bought a home, for instance, could yield clues to the best time for the bank to make mortgage offers. Thirty-somethings who are increasing their savings may be about to take out home or education loans.

The partners will also develop a smartphone app and look to offer SMFG financial services to the roughly 37 million people who use Yahoo Japan's shopping and auction services. 

The two companies are co-investors in online banking pioneer Japan Net Bank, each holding a 41.16% stake, but the new venture will mark Yahoo Japan's first time starting a company with a financial institution. The internet company aims to hone its data analysis technology to improve online ad placement.

(Nikkei)

Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group, Inc.

Japan

Market(Ticker): TKS(8316)
Sector:
Industry:
Finance
Major Banks
Market cap(USD): 54,325.16M
Shares: 1,414.44M

Yahoo Japan Corp.

Japan

Market(Ticker): TKS(4689)
Sector:
Industry:
Technology Services
Internet Software/Services
Market cap(USD): 25,818.25M
Shares: 5,696.59M

Get Insights on Asia In Your Inbox

To read the full story, Subscribe or Log in

Get your first month for $0.99

Redeemable only through the Subscribe button below

Once subscribed, you can…

  • Read all stories with unlimited access (5 articles per month without subscription)
  • Use our smartphone and tablet apps

To read the full story, Subscribe or Log in

3 months for $9
SUBSCRIBE TODAY

Take advantage of this limited offer.
Subscribe now to get unlimited access to all articles.

To read the full story, Update your account

Resubscribe now to continue reading.
BEST OFFER:
Only US$ 9.99 per month for a full-year subscription

To read the full story, Subscribe or Log in

Once subscribed, you can…

  • Read all stories with unlimited access (5 articles per month without subscription)
  • Use our smartphone and tablet apps

To read the full story, Subscribe or Log in

3 months for $9
SUBSCRIBE TODAY

Take advantage of this limited offer.
Subscribe now to get unlimited access to all articles.

To read the full story, Update your account

We could not renew your subscription.
You need to update your payment information.