ArrowArtboardCreated with Sketch.Title ChevronCrossEye IconFacebook IconIcon FacebookGoogle Plus IconLayer 1InstagramCreated with Sketch.Linkedin IconIcon LinkedinShapeCreated with Sketch.Icon Mail ContactPath LayerIcon MailMenu BurgerIcon Opinion QuotePositive ArrowIcon PrintRSS IconIcon SearchSite TitleTitle ChevronTwitter IconIcon TwitterYoutube Icon
Politics

International Criminal Court opens probe on Duterte's drug war

Philippine leader ready to face accusations: spokesperson

Agents of the Philippine Drugs Enforcement Agency detain a suspected small-time drug trafficker during a raid in Manila.   © Reuters

MANILA -- The International Criminal Court has launched a "preliminary examination" over Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte's war on drugs, his spokesperson said on Thursday.

Manila's mission in The Hague was informed by the ICC that its Office of the Prosecutor is opening an initial probe on crimes against humanity, allegedly committed by Duterte, Harry Roque said. 

Roque, an international law expert, said he discussed the development with Duterte on Wednesday night. "The President has said that he also welcomes this preliminary examination because he is sick and tired of being accused by the commission of crimes against humanity," Roque said.

Filipino lawyer Jude Sabio filed a complaint before the ICC in April last year, accusing Duterte of being a mass murderer and committing extrajudicial killings since 1988. Other local officials were also included in the complaint. 

Duterte won the May 2016 elections largely on his promise to eradicate crime and corruption. Upon assuming office, he launched a brutal anti-narcotics crackdown similar to the one he carried out in Davao City, which he ruled for over 20 years prior to becoming president. 

Around 4,000 suspected drug users and dealers have been killed by police and thousands more by unknown vigilantes since Duterte assumed office.

Roque said the ICC's move is a "waste of the court's time and resources."

"The war against drug is a lawful, legitimate police operation. It cannot be characterized as an attack against civilian populations [just] because they are civilians," he said.

"It is a lawful use of force and, therefore, we submit likewise that on the merits, the element of directing and attack against a civilian population is simply lacking."

You have {{numberReadArticles}} FREE ARTICLE{{numberReadArticles-plural}} left this month

Subscribe to get unlimited access to all articles.

Get unlimited access
NAR site on phone, device, tablet

{{sentenceStarter}} {{numberReadArticles}} free article{{numberReadArticles-plural}} this month

Stay ahead with our exclusives on Asia; the most dynamic market in the world.

Benefit from in-depth journalism from trusted experts within Asia itself.

Try 3 months for $9

Offer ends September 30th

Your trial period has expired

You need a subscription to...

See all offers and subscribe

Your full access to the Nikkei Asian Review has expired

You need a subscription to:

See all offers
NAR on print phone, device, and tablet media