Islamic State claims responsibility for killing Chinese in Afghanistan

China says it is 'deeply shocked' by the attack, demands investigation

20250123 IS and China flag

According to Afghan police, a Chinese citizen was murdered by Islamic State and a preliminary investigation has been launched. (Source photos by AP)

KABUL (Reuters) -- The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the killing of a Chinese national in Afghanistan's northern Takhar province, in a post on its Telegram channel late on Wednesday.

Afghan police in the province had said on Wednesday that a Chinese citizen was murdered and a preliminary investigation had been launched, but it was not clear who was behind the attack.

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored ContentThis content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.