Japan diplomat urges China to probe motive in schoolboy's death

'We cannot move forward unless the issue is resolved,' Foreign Ministry official says

20240923N Shenzhen 1

A Chinese mother and son place flowers in front of the school attended by the boy who was killed recently. © Kyodo

YUKIO TAJIMA, Nikkei staff writer

BEIJING -- A top Japanese foreign affairs official demanded a clear explanation for the stabbing death of a 10-year-old Japanese boy in Shenzhen last week, including the suspect's motive, in a meeting with his Chinese counterpart on Monday.

"It is extremely important to clarify the motive for the crime," Yoshifumi Tsuge, a state minister for foreign affairs, said during the meeting with Sun Weidong, Chinese vice foreign minister. "We cannot move forward unless this issue is resolved."

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored ContentThis content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.