Philippines to file protest with China over South China Sea air incident

China's PLA says Philippine aircraft illegally intruded despite warnings

20240812 South China Sea file photo

A China Coast Guard ship near the disputed Scarborough Shoal in 2017. China has been growing more assertive in the South China Sea, with Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos calling its latest actions "unjustified, illegal and reckless." © Reuters

MANILA (Reuters) -- The Philippines will file a diplomatic protest with China over a recent incident involving Air Force planes in airspace over a South China Sea shoal, Manila's Foreign Secretary Enrique Manalo said on Monday.

The Southeast Asian nation will continue maritime patrols in the South China Sea despite the "dangerous and provocative" actions of China's Air Force last week, military chief Romeo Brawner told reporters. The Philippines' military has complained of dangerous actions by two Chinese aircraft that dropped flares in the path of a Philippine Air Force aircraft conducting a routine patrol over the Scarborough Shoal on Aug. 8.

Defence Secretary Gilberto Teodoro said he hoped China would comply with international law and on the need to de-escalate tensions.

Advertisement

On Sunday, Philippines President Ferdinand Marcos called China's actions "unjustified, illegal and reckless."

China's embassy in Manila did not immediately respond to a request for comment. On Saturday, the Southern Theater Command of the Chinese People's Liberation Army said the Philippine aircraft had illegally intruded despite repeated warnings.

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored ContentThis content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.