SEOUL (Kyodo) -- The defense authorities of South Korea and Japan held a video conference Thursday in which each side conveyed its stance on an incident last week in which a South Korean destroyer locked its fire-control radar on a Japanese patrol plane, Seoul's Defense Ministry said.
"Each side, at the conference, exchanged ideas on cross-checking the facts and technological analysis to avoid any misunderstanding," the ministry said in a statement.
The ministry added that the conference lasted around two hours and was held in a friendly atmosphere and that the two countries will continue having working-level discussions on the matter.
The Japanese Defense Ministry said that the Japanese side reiterated its regret that such an incident occurred and strongly urged the South Korean side to prevent a recurrence.
On Friday last week, Japan's government showed deep concern over the radar being directed at the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force P-1 patrol plane the previous day.
South Korea's military official later said that the radar was not directed on purpose and was only used to search for a North Korean boat in distress.