China says it will not renounce use of force over Taiwan

Taipei says Beijing's recent military drills backfired

2024-10-14T143646Z_1000699603_RC2EKAAN19U3_RTRMADP_3_TAIWAN-CHINA.JPG

A Chinese People's Liberation Army pilot is seen in a screenshot from a video released by the PLA on the recent "Joint Sword-2024B" military drills around Taiwan on Oct. 14. (PLA Eastern Theatre Command via Reuters)

BEIJING/TAIPEI (Reuters) -- China will not promise to renounce the use of force over Taiwan but this is aimed at external interference and a small minority of separatists, China's Taiwan Affairs Office said on Wednesday following the country's latest war games around the island.

China, which views democratically governed Taiwan as its own territory, staged a day of large-scale drills around the island on Monday it said were a warning to "separatist acts" following last week's national day speech by Taiwan President Lai Ching-te.

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored ContentThis content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.