U.N. rights chief won't seek new term amid China backlash

Bachelet, criticized over Xinjiang visit, says she already planned to leave post

20220613N Bachelet

United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet came under fire after a controversial trip to China last month.  © Reuters

GENEVA (Reuters) -- The United Nations human rights chief, Michelle Bachelet, said on Monday that she would not seek a second term for personal reasons, refuting speculation that it was a decision linked to blowback over her trip to China last month.

Bachelet, 70, was criticized by rights groups as well as some Western governments, including the United States, who said the conditions Chinese authorities imposed on the visit did not enable a complete and independent assessment of the rights environment.

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored ContentThis content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.