Chinese oil company reveals loss of Utah drilling rights years afterward

Hong Kong-listed CHK Oil says board only learned of 2022 U.S. orders last week

energy_utahoilandgas1.jpg

China's CHK Oil lost key leases in the US state of Utah. (US Department of Interior photo)

KENJI KAWASE, Nikkei Asia chief business news correspondent

HONG KONG -- A Hong Kong-listed Chinese oil company has disclosed that it lost the bulk of its oil and gas rights in the U.S., with the announcement coming years after the contracts were terminated.

CHK Oil released a statement via the Hong Kong Exchange late on Thursday, revealing that it no longer holds three of its four leases to an oil and gas field in the state of Utah. The announcement said the Bureau of Land Management under the U.S. Department of Interior had issued written orders on Nov. 14, 2022, stating that the three leases had been terminated as far back as mid-2020.

Sponsored Content

About Sponsored ContentThis content was commissioned by Nikkei's Global Business Bureau.