AMMAN (Reuters) -- The Syrian army said on Saturday dozens of its soldiers had been killed in a major attack led by Islamist Hayat Tahrir al-Sham rebels who swept into the city of Aleppo, forcing the army to redeploy in the biggest challenge to President Bashar al-Assad in years.
Russia's defence ministry said its air force carried out strikes on rebels in support of Assad's army, Russian news agencies reported. The strikes followed what was the boldest rebel assault for years in a civil war where frontlines had largely been frozen since 2020.



